Lighternote attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has any one built one of these? I bought the kit and put it together. . .works and sounds good except at lowest volume I am getting sound. . .I set it up exactly as the instructions indicated. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a rather very simple solution (IMHO elegant too ;)) to this...I'll not reveal it just yet though, sorry.

ZM's PSMOVC might be able to do it too...Choky?

Has any one built one of these? I bought the kit and put it together. . .works and sounds good except at lowest volume I am getting sound. . .I set it up exactly as the instructions indicated. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is a bit of sound at minimum volume because the shunt LDRs cannot be set to 0R at minimum volume as otherwise they will overheat. This will sound louder or softer depending on your source output, amp and speaker efficiency. It will also depend on the lowest shunt resistance you set, which should be less than 70R and greater than 50R. It will help if your series LDRs are set to some high resistance >10k at minimum volume.

In my Lighter Note and 88dB speakers this doesn't bother me as I always leave the volume control in my listening range (9 - 11 o'clock). It's a small price to pay for the quantum jump in sonics.

Nothing groundbreaking...on an LDR vol control less is more takes on the meaning we like from a simple circuit...fact is I can live with the whisper or I can just pause by remote the cd player to mute. We're just so used to hearing golden silence while turning the knob max counterclockwise it might bug us to hear some sound...

Don't hold your breath though...I've seen it on the bench I just need to put it together for a listen.

LDR preamp

I bought my kit from Uriah and one of the things that I heard before I bought it was that the volume control didnt go down to 0 db. It doesnt bother me at all. It is the best sounding preamp I have hear. I can deal with the low volume coming out of it. It sounds great at any volume. Now if I could just make a balanced one I would be set. Anyone make a balanced lighternote?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.