volume remote control module with PGA 2311

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi

I have bought by ebay a volume remote control module with PGA 2311
the problem is that the volume starts every time with the volume level of
-46dB and does not remember the volume setting. Also the lowest volume is
-96 dB and you can still hear some sound it must be zero.

a have ask the seller to change the software of setting but the don't give
any correct awnsers. Is there a way to change the HEX file i

Crystal PGA2311 Volume remote control preamplifier kit - eBay (item 200471618932 end time Jun-10-10 20:06:21 PDT)

regards,
Harry

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 4,063
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 3,588
  • CS3310-7.jpg
    CS3310-7.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 3,988
fwiw, I also bought one of these (I think its the same one; it has 3 PGA DIP16 chips on it).

NO schematic came, not even in email. very poor form ;(

I'm not even sure if I want to build this, to be honest. the pcb layout is horrible, no ground plane, no recommended bypassing that the vendors (cirrus and ti) recommend. no firmware code, no nothing, really. pretty disapointing.

I also plan to ignore the onboard chip and firmware and use my own. I had a PGA chip going once on some firmware I wrote for the arduino and I might port my code over to this kind of platform eventually.

everytime I order from ebay/china, I get less than I expected. WHY do they not included pcb layouts (at least) and schematics? I know that asking for code is 'asking too much' from ebay vendors but, wow, my 'kit' came with ZERO docs ...

Danzup,
the seller told me that it's impossible to replace by VFD since it require more power to drive it and need to change the code part also.
I have also ask to have no source code with no success.
I have just received some pdf files (user manual and schematic board).
LinuxWorks, if you want those pdf files, just send me a PM).

here's the schematic file in png
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards

Armindo

the seller is an idiot. sorry, but he just is.

he's useless. I will not bother him again since he can give us nothing of use. its sad, isn't it?

closed source, no updates, not even an ACCURATE schematic. I got pdf files, too, and they are not the same circuit exactly. close but why can't they do PROPER docs for things they sell! very frustrating.

a vfd will work if you do your own power supply for it and if its HD44780 compat.

I have not even built mine (got it unassembled as a 'kit') and I was planning on using it ONLY as a test bed for my own firmware, anyway; but the quality of the board is pretty laughable and the layout is quite bad. it would be hard to do a worse job, I think.

my own volume control project will be ready for public release soon (working to finish code and get it ready for public, this week and next). I'll post a link when I have something that talks to this board (my code is meant for relay atten driving but I once did have it talking to a single PGA, about a year ago).

note: my firmware will be for a DIFFERENT controller, not the one included on this kit. I plan to not use the display and controller that is included and, instead. use my arduino controller and code. I also plan to change the interface from pure SPI to bit-banged SPI over I2C. for the 3-chip PGA board that I have, I think a single 8-bit port expander will do all I need and let me send clock, data and 3 chip-selects over. that single chip (PCF8574 or maybe MCP2308) will let me reduce the wiring to just 4 wires (i2c and power/gnd) for a neater install. at least that's my plan. my controller is this one: http://www.amb.org/forum/lcduino-1-display-i-o-processor-f21/lcduino-1-production-board-t438.html

Last edited:
LinuxWorks,
that's the main problem with things made in China.
I use to work with chinese for my business, and the problem there is that they use to copy each others. So most of the time they don't have the source documents or doesn't understand them. Also they don't wont to give them to avoid being copied.... they find normal to copy but not to be copied :confused:

The other problem are the fake components.
I remember have bought a Gainclone amplifier from HLLY 2 years ago.
Amplifier arrived partially broken (bad packaging). Fake ship, badly build, etc...
Now I have made my own gainclone, using BrianGT kit, more expensive (mostly due to transformer) but better quality.
Of course, I still believe that there are some good struff from China in Ebay.
The problem is that you don't know it before buying.
It would be nice to have a section at DIYAudio, where users can post the link and picture of good kits to buy. it will avoid users to buy crappy kits and loose money....

It seems also if you have 3 PGA chips that you use the one made for home cinema. Mine only use one PGA chip.

The one you plan to use will have hoa many inputs ? is it for HC also or just a stereo one ? Will it have VFD ? Will it have remote and the same volume/source selector ?

Regards

I got a 3chip version since I wanted to have this sit between my dcx2496 and my 2 or 3 amps. so, not for 5.1 use but for tri-amping use ;)

right now, I use 3 (!) relay boards for 3 volume controls in sync:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/180205-hat-trick-volume-control.html

it works fine but its noisy as hell with 3 relay boards going. I want to replace it with solid state.

if yours is only 1 pga chip, of course it will be easier to interface to.

there's a lot of info on my project (working with AMB labs) - we have a full 8 port i/o selector (relay based), the lcd/IR/motorpot controller (we call that the LCDuino) and then you pick if you want relays for the vol control engine OR something like a PGA system. perhaps even other engines later on, too.

it uses lcd not vfd. might look into vfd if we can find compatible ones. I have used LARGE lcd's before, and while its not as bright, it sure is big enough to see from across the room:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/3655856250_31de9775fa_z.jpg

that's just a 4x20 display but its LARGE. still just lcd, though.

haha, thanks. that was a very rare event for me ;)

I am looking into vfd's. I will let you know what I find. they are $30 and up (damn) but I will get one and try it, either 16x2 or 20x2. I'm now curious, myself. after looking online for parts, it seems they are now 5v standard and have their own dc/dc's onboard. that really makes life simple! there are some details that are diff between lcd and vfd (contrast, brightness, perhaps write-delays, even need for screensaver) that have to be taken into account to write generic firmware. once I have a vfd, I'll take a try at it and see.

I'm looking at something that is already hd44780 compat and also is 5v based. that smartie is neither. but that's ok - there are may 5v ttl 4bit parallel versions that would almost directly plugin. there is no need to have a serial interface to the lcd or vfd since I already front-end mine with a PE chip and its already on a backpack board that will mount right behind the lcd.

the first link (art) seems better as its native parallel. only problem is that it uses the old style side-mount holes instead ofthe newer top-row mount 14 pins. both are the same electrically but if you assume you are going to mount a backpack module, having the pins line up matters ;)

I will get hold of one of these soon and report back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.