volume remote control module with PGA 2311 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2011, 01:06 PM   #11
evansp is offline evansp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have one of these also but would like to update firmware.. so any help would be welcome
Old 1st February 2011, 02:28 PM   #12
ads2 is offline ads2  France
diyAudio Member

Danzup,
the seller told me that it's impossible to replace by VFD since it require more power to drive it and need to change the code part also.
I have also ask to have no source code with no success.
I have just received some pdf files (user manual and schematic board).
LinuxWorks, if you want those pdf files, just send me a PM).

here's the schematic file in png Click the image to open in full size.

Regards

Armindo
Old 1st February 2011, 11:27 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

the seller is an idiot. sorry, but he just is.

he's useless. I will not bother him again since he can give us nothing of use. its sad, isn't it?

closed source, no updates, not even an ACCURATE schematic. I got pdf files, too, and they are not the same circuit exactly. close but why can't they do PROPER docs for things they sell! very frustrating.

a vfd will work if you do your own power supply for it and if its HD44780 compat.

I have not even built mine (got it unassembled as a 'kit') and I was planning on using it ONLY as a test bed for my own firmware, anyway; but the quality of the board is pretty laughable and the layout is quite bad. it would be hard to do a worse job, I think.

my own volume control project will be ready for public release soon (working to finish code and get it ready for public, this week and next). I'll post a link when I have something that talks to this board (my code is meant for relay atten driving but I once did have it talking to a single PGA, about a year ago).

note: my firmware will be for a DIFFERENT controller, not the one included on this kit. I plan to not use the display and controller that is included and, instead. use my arduino controller and code. I also plan to change the interface from pure SPI to bit-banged SPI over I2C. for the 3-chip PGA board that I have, I think a single 8-bit port expander will do all I need and let me send clock, data and 3 chip-selects over. that single chip (PCF8574 or maybe MCP2308) will let me reduce the wiring to just 4 wires (i2c and power/gnd) for a neater install. at least that's my plan. my controller is this one: http://www.amb.org/forum/lcduino-1-d...oard-t438.html

Last edited by linuxworks; 1st February 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:09 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

LinuxWorks,
that's the main problem with things made in China.
I use to work with chinese for my business, and the problem there is that they use to copy each others. So most of the time they don't have the source documents or doesn't understand them. Also they don't wont to give them to avoid being copied.... they find normal to copy but not to be copied

The other problem are the fake components.
I remember have bought a Gainclone amplifier from HLLY 2 years ago.
Amplifier arrived partially broken (bad packaging). Fake ship, badly build, etc...
Now I have made my own gainclone, using BrianGT kit, more expensive (mostly due to transformer) but better quality.
Of course, I still believe that there are some good struff from China in Ebay.
The problem is that you don't know it before buying.
It would be nice to have a section at DIYAudio, where users can post the link and picture of good kits to buy. it will avoid users to buy crappy kits and loose money....

It seems also if you have 3 PGA chips that you use the one made for home cinema. Mine only use one PGA chip.

The one you plan to use will have hoa many inputs ? is it for HC also or just a stereo one ? Will it have VFD ? Will it have remote and the same volume/source selector ?

Regards
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I got a 3chip version since I wanted to have this sit between my dcx2496 and my 2 or 3 amps. so, not for 5.1 use but for tri-amping use

right now, I use 3 (!) relay boards for 3 volume controls in sync:

the hat-trick volume control ;)

it works fine but its noisy as hell with 3 relay boards going. I want to replace it with solid state.

if yours is only 1 pga chip, of course it will be easier to interface to.

there's a lot of info on my project (working with AMB labs) - we have a full 8 port i/o selector (relay based), the lcd/IR/motorpot controller (we call that the LCDuino) and then you pick if you want relays for the vol control engine OR something like a PGA system. perhaps even other engines later on, too.

it uses lcd not vfd. might look into vfd if we can find compatible ones. I have used LARGE lcd's before, and while its not as bright, it sure is big enough to see from across the room:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/...de9775fa_z.jpg

that's just a 4x20 display but its LARGE. still just lcd, though.
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:55 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Congratulation for the stereophile (magazine)

the only reason I need VFD is that I have made a CD-Rom drive controller that uses VFD display. I would like to kkep same visual effect....
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:23 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

haha, thanks. that was a very rare event for me

I am looking into vfd's. I will let you know what I find. they are $30 and up (damn) but I will get one and try it, either 16x2 or 20x2. I'm now curious, myself. after looking online for parts, it seems they are now 5v standard and have their own dc/dc's onboard. that really makes life simple! there are some details that are diff between lcd and vfd (contrast, brightness, perhaps write-delays, even need for screensaver) that have to be taken into account to write generic firmware. once I have a vfd, I'll take a try at it and see.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:49 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Yes, my CDRom controller have a Noritake 1602 VFD display and the board is only powered by 5V.
The diifference I found was that it uses 16 pins while the lcd seems to use 14.
you can find some for about 20E here : ART New VFD 2x16-H-BG-5V (HD44780) Vacuum Fluorescent en vente sur eBay.fr (fin le 04-févr.-11 09:37:52 Paris)
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:55 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

there is some information here Epson serial VFD Display Arduino LCD Smartie - eBay (item 110448153207 end time Feb-12-11 12:15:54 PST) and here arduinoextras - whitej for the Arduino part :-)
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm looking at something that is already hd44780 compat and also is 5v based. that smartie is neither. but that's ok - there are may 5v ttl 4bit parallel versions that would almost directly plugin. there is no need to have a serial interface to the lcd or vfd since I already front-end mine with a PE chip and its already on a backpack board that will mount right behind the lcd.

the first link (art) seems better as its native parallel. only problem is that it uses the old style side-mount holes instead ofthe newer top-row mount 14 pins. both are the same electrically but if you assume you are going to mount a backpack module, having the pins line up matters

I will get hold of one of these soon and report back.

Hide this!Advertise here!