volume remote control module with PGA 2311

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,
First post and yes this is an older thread but I've returned a few times to it and need to ask. Okay to start off I am more of an analog guy and typically I build recording gear. I have decided to build a monitor controller for my studio. I may go the LCduino direction but Id like to use what I have first. I have roughly the same LCD display volume controller as Farmtech.
I am using this kit.
LCD Volume Dispaly Motor Potentiometer 2.0 Ch Pre-Amp Amplifier Board Audio DIY | eBay
which seems to be the same.
I am building a monitor controller which I hope to make switch from digital to analog (I can get more into this later if anyone's really interested but I don't want to waste your time).
I suck at programming and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get either a 'programming for 3 year olds' programmer or some place I could send the 8515 to get programmed, preferably using the firmware Farm Tech made??
It's a long shot I know.
Okay second question:
I'd really like to use a seven segment display if possible but I am not sure how.
I have seen Linux-Works do this but I can't find how he connected it all. I imagine I would once again have to program something (remember I am pretty much a 3 year old when it comes to programming). FWIW I currently am using a pair of balanced to unbalanced then unbalanced to balanced amp boards through the current ebay kit and will be doing this for two channels with one unbalanced channel.

My final question is what type of rotary encoder is this using? By description; it is the kind that you can rotate the shaft about 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise but its momentary and quickly rotates back into its original position. Like a jog or shuttle wheel I guess. It does not have detents or clicks and will not rotate 360 degrees. The one that comes with this kit has a shaft that is too short for the front panels I will be using and I'd like to get another one of its kind with a longer threaded shaft.
I thank you guys in advance and must also thank you for the Years of information I have used from this forum.
Cheers
Dylan

I suck at programming and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get either a 'programming for 3 year olds' programmer or some place I could send the 8515 to get programmed, preferably using the firmware Farm Tech made??
programming a amtel mcu is real easy. I use a AVRISP mkII and Atmel AVR Studio 4. Of course Studio 4 is old but newer Studio will work just as well.

I'd really like to use a seven segment display if possible but I am not sure how.
I have seen Linux-Works do this but I can't find how he connected it all. I imagine I would once again have to program something (remember I am pretty much a 3 year old when it comes to programming).
Well that would require the code to be re-written and the hardware changed. If you can not do it then who is? I am sure if you offer $, then you can get it done, but to expect someone to do it for you free, look again.

My final question is what type of rotary encoder is this using?
That I am not sure of. You would have to ask the designers. I use Bourns encoders, they are cheap and available, but the code is dependent on the hardware.

rsavsa,
Thank you for your response. I traced the signal and looked up the at89c51 chip which is what the ebay controller uses. I then switched the rotary encoder for momentary push buttons on a breadboard which after trial and error I finally got to work (although I need another line for source select). I tried using a 20 detent rotary encoder but that failed as it sent the volume up infinitely until i moved the other way (then it went in that direction until I moved it back one detent). So definitely can't use detented rotary encoders. I think it may be a 2 bit encoder. I might just buy a few different kinds to figure out which or keep using the push buttons which I kind of like better anyways (although its gonna make me have to change my front panel-ugg).
I wasnt expecting anyone to do it for free and I thank you for the programmer suggestions. I haven't been very succesful in understanding code via a teensy and arduino but I might use this to get a better understanding of how programming works.
The designers are impossible to get a hold of the vendors know less than me. Googling various keywords really brings me back to hear or the AMB website.
And then finally I did find more info on the seven segment conversion and its pretty much impossible with the board I have and I would be better off just buying the seven segment controller kit as it uses a completely different chip for the seven segment. I have some seven segment displays here in my parts bin so was hoping....
At any rate thanks

Here,s the new version of that 2311 preamp...it has volume memory...I was thinking of trying one but I,d sure like to know how it sounds from a recent user, there are no reviews online that I can find. I have a case that would be perfect for this, and it,s cheap.

Assembled Upgrade PGA2311 Remote Volume Controller Preamp with MUTE | eBay

Another necrobump, but i ordered the kit version of this thing.

Arrived, after 5 weeks, without MCU. Shorted me some other small board level components too. And the socket for the mcu is missing a pin.

So I'm not real fond of the seller at this point. We'll see if and how fast they get me the mcu.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.