TEAC rx-9 dbx Unit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2010, 07:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TEAC rx-9 dbx Unit

Gentlemen,

I just got a Teac RX-98 dbx unit. Does anyone know what modifications shall be made in order to operate this one as a stand alone unit? Cause of legal considerations (TEAC could not sell DBX stand alone units) this is controlled by a cable remote through TEAC or TASCAM (122b cassette tape recorder). Therefore I would be tempted to believe the modifications are not so important.

Thanks you for your time in reading this!

Gabriel
Old 5th April 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

All I know is the RX-8 unit for the C3x and C2x cassette decks. The "control signal" does NOTHING AT ALL! The control signal socket on the cassette deck is not even connected to anything - it just has the two top pins short circuited together.
Old 5th April 2010, 02:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank! The unit name, by the way is RX-9 and not 98 of course. Thank again. On the socket are 6 pins disposed like a 2 by six matrix, two of them on the line quite separate. Would you please guess how the short circuit shall be made. Actually, globally, do you think could it be eny risk in short circuit them randomly?
Old 5th April 2010, 04:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The connecter matrix:

x x meaning 1 2

x x 3 4
x x 5 6
Old 5th April 2010, 04:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Gentlemen,

I come again on the subject after testing. Since I started this thread, I shall put this to sleep and to be in help whoever might need this answer. So, pins 1 and 2 short circuit is starting the unit to operate manually meaning the switches on the front panel shall be set to encode and then decode after recording sub consequentially. The pins 3 to 6 are meant for Teac A3400-SX four channel recorder (and not only but starting with this model). The switches 1,2,3 and/or 4 of the recorder set to "on" to operate for the four tracks automatically: encode when recording and decode for playback.

Thank you once again!
Old 5th April 2010, 04:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

There is one pin (voltage controlled drom the control board), that switches the "encoding" or "decoding" functionality.
The rest of the pins are in/out/gnd/power. And there are 2 sockets on the dbx board, for 10 (not only 6) wires.
Shorting things randomly will damage something eventually (like the power supply).

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 5th April 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!