Cheap Valve Preamp power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been seeing a lot of valve Leak and Quad pre-amplifiers for sale at respectably cheap prices. Theirs a good reason for this. They are powered from the power amplifiers mains transformer. I don't have a Quad or Leak Power amp, but fancy playing with these old pre-amplifiers because they look wonderful.

Do any of you have Leak or Quad valve pre-amplifiers and could measure the current requirements of the heaters and the high tension?

I started looking at making a power supply but my usual suppliers but transformers with secondary's in the 200 V region are not available easily or cheaply.

Do people know of cheap suppliers of low powered high voltage transformers?

Failing this I started thinking about a Voltage_doubler cascaded to quadruple the voltage. As transformers with 55V secondaries are not so rare.

Has anyone else built a circuit I could steel while keeping the costs down?

I have a simple transistor based impedance buffer driving an alps potentiometer as my preamp at the moment so its only for fun, and would be interesting how it compares to my minimalist system.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.