Pedja Rogic JFET or Nelson Pass B1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks!

That's the first time I write on this forum, but I've been following it since more than a year, having actually built a CMoy, a PPAv2, an unregulated and a regulated LM3886 based chipamps...

So i was wondering about my next project, a discrete preamp. Just for the fun of it, I've discarded using OPAMPs. I don't really need gain, so a buffer is OK. But there will be no problem in having some of it.

After researching all I could, I've came to two of them: Pedga Rogic JFET buffer and Nelson Pass B1 buffer. I've seen that both are well documented, and well regarded among audio DIY.

So my question is, wich one should I try to build? Any other one I've missed?

Thanks for all,
keep the solder flowing!

I have build the B1 direct coupled with LSK389C and the sound is very transparent, as if it whould not be in the system. I got a frequency response to 6.5MHz -3dB and very low noise and distortion. I used two Alps 10kOhm K Faders, so i can adjust the balance. The faders reduced the frequency response to 2.5MHz -3dB worst case because the output impedance interacts with the fets input capacitance. With a 100kOhm TKD pot the sound was worse. Less extemded and open, so i whould not recommend a high impedance pot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.