"...the best preamplifier ever made" says Mr. David Price, Hi-Fi- World - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 02:39 AM   #11
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
I already have 3 of them (although built differently), don't need another one
You have 3 of the units that cost 7900$ ? LOL.


how come no response to the chassis question.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 02:41 AM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Peter Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
didn't I say 'built differently'?

I always miss checking Forum mail. Talking about chassis, this is how Sowther TVC version looks like in that chassis (with remote and balance controls):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVC-for-web.jpg (195.6 KB, 1096 views)
__________________
www.audiosector.com
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 16th December 2009 at 02:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 04:07 AM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
georgehifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manly Australia (Jewel of the Pacific)
Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
George I didn't catch it initially, did you actually compared the new Reference model?
The one they compared, was this one they sent me the link to. They said it was veiled in comparison and lacked the detail and dynamics of the Lightspeed Attenuator.

Hi]Hi Fi Guy - Hi Fi Guy Products - Category - Pre-Amplifier - Music First Reference

I say no wonder look at all the switch contacts in the one you posted, not to mention the couple of hundred meters of fine wire the signal has to run through inside the transformers, this is what the Lightspeed Attenuator is all about, no contacts between cdp and poweramp, just one soldered resistor per channel.


Cheers George
__________________
Avatar : Production Lightspeed Attenuator
www.lightspeedattenuator.com

Last edited by georgehifi; 16th December 2009 at 04:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 07:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehifi View Post
I say no wonder look at all the switch contacts in the one you posted


Interesting remark. I find these particular switches as transparent as anything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 08:05 AM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
georgehifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manly Australia (Jewel of the Pacific)
Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Interesting remark. I find these particular switches as transparent as anything.
Yes but not as transparent as no contacts!
Look at the wiper arm of those switches, they have to be dished to be able to ride up from contact to contact, this means a surface area of a couple of thou, and there's three of them per channel, and they would have to be also very light pressure as not to wear out the (soft) arm itself or the (soft) contacts, I say (soft) as that's what is the best metal conductor, brass/copper or gold plated brass or similar, then there is the lubricant used to let them slide.
And if that's not the problem you have hundreds of meters of hair thin wire for the poor signal to travel along in those transformers, you may as well have interconnects 100 mts long.

KISS
Beauty for sound quality is not in how a mechanical device looks with all it's glitz and glamour, but in how it behaves under the fast rise time of real music signal. And for that no contacts are the best.

Cheers George
__________________
Avatar : Production Lightspeed Attenuator
www.lightspeedattenuator.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 08:08 AM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
merlin el mago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Catalonia - Europe
I own a Shallco with remote control with all Shinkoh resistors in an Erno Borbely Balanced Line-Amp & I can assure is the best switches ever made.

Right LDR have no contacts, that's a good issue but there is other importants issues like: what about LDR noise, I heard bad comments about this?

I agree that TVC have a lot of cables & for this reason an anothers that I dislike TVCs with or without gain but is really a good alternative for guys without vinyl the TVCs with 6 dBs gain is enough to send the signal to the amps but I prefer also in this case the Shallco with Shinkoh over the TVCs with gain.

Another big issues is the price: switch + resistor is more affordable than goods TVCs.

Merlin El Mago
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 08:40 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
georgehifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manly Australia (Jewel of the Pacific)
Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post

Right LDR have no contacts, that's a good issue but there is other importants issues like: what about LDR noise, I heard bad comments about this?

Merlin El Mago
I don't were you got this information or heard it.
This is one of the Lightspeed Attenuator's hallmarks, an absolute lack of background noise, it has the blackest background you will (not) hear.

The Lightspeed Attenuator as I supply them has less measured noise than my top end Tektronics scope can measure, and that is 10uV, which is quieter than any pre I have measured.
This is why the power supply in my production Lightspeed Attenuator has first, a 12vdc regulated "linear" wall wart supply and then a 5vdc regulated internal supply.
Sure if some of the DIYer's start using smp supplies these are going to be nosier, as far as I'm concerned smp supplies have no place in this application, or any other high end audiophile product.

Cheers George
__________________
Avatar : Production Lightspeed Attenuator
www.lightspeedattenuator.com

Last edited by georgehifi; 17th December 2009 at 09:10 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 03:56 PM   #18
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehifi View Post
I don't were you got this information or heard it.
This is one of the Lightspeed Attenuator's hallmarks, an absolute lack of background noise, it has the blackest background you will (not) hear.

The Lightspeed Attenuator as I supply them has less measured noise than my top end Tektronics scope can measure, and that is 10uV, which is quieter than any pre I have measured.
This is why the power supply in my production Lightspeed Attenuator has first, a 12vdc regulated "linear" wall wart supply and then a 5vdc regulated internal supply.
Sure if some of the DIYer's start using smp supplies these are going to be nosier, as far as I'm concerned smp supplies have no place in this application, or any other high end audiophile product.

Cheers George

Well said, and Couldn't agree more.!
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 04:12 PM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
Peter Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehifi View Post
Yes but not as transparent as no contacts!
Look at the wiper arm of those switches, they have to be dished to be able to ride up from contact to contact, this means a surface area of a couple of thou, and there's three of them per channel, and they would have to be also very light pressure as not to wear out the (soft) arm itself or the (soft) contacts, I say (soft) as that's what is the best metal conductor, brass/copper or gold plated brass or similar, then there is the lubricant used to let them slide.
And if that's not the problem you have hundreds of meters of hair thin wire for the poor signal to travel along in those transformers, you may as well have interconnects 100 mts long.
Well, even with Lightspeed, you still need a switch for source selecting and you can't eliminate RCA connectors unless you solder cables directly, so complaining here about contacts is rather out of place.

And how about 100 of mts of wire in speaker crossover coils, not to mention transformers in PS of active electronics

I did actually compare TVC to direct connection (no attenuator at all) and in my experience there was no obvious sound degradation.
__________________
www.audiosector.com
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 04:15 PM   #20
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
well ...... I made some comparisons between commercial made AVCs , TVCs and PSM lightspeed .

all I can say is - to each his own . differences are matter of taste .

xformers have own virtues , PSM LS is brutal in resolution and transparency , but I can't say that one is better than other .

matter of taste .

edit : just read what PD wrote ;
not as plus for LS camp , because I'm not in any camp here - it's easy to make awesome selector with LDRs ;
even minimum resistance , residual in LDR by construction , is lesser evil than mechanical contact .... be it gold on gold or even some unobtanium .
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa...© by Mighty ZM

Last edited by Zen Mod; 17th December 2009 at 04:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Transistor based Gyrator info. Any "Wireless World" collectors out there? Hearinspace Everything Else 24 19th February 2011 07:58 PM
"The power of hearing" - Physics World May 2002 x-pro Everything Else 6 11th March 2004 08:55 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2