Digital XO vs Op-amp XO, which would be best to use in active speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2009, 09:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Digital XO vs Op-amp XO, which would be best to use in active speakers?

I have a pair of bi-amped active studio monitor type speakers, and the amp PCB went wrong in one of them, the model is Event TR8.

Right now, i'm using a DCX2496 as a XO and have a seperate external amp for each speaker, but I plan to eventually put amps back into the speakers...

The speakers originally used an op-amp XO, 24db/oct LR @ 2.7KHz, and I was wondering which XO gives better sound, op-amp vs digital?

I understand the DCX2496 output stage is not the best, but if I was to upgrade this, would this give me better results than using an op-amp based XO?
Old 13th November 2009, 09:54 AM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd stick with the original op-amp crossover... there must be fewer active devices in the signal path than with the DCX2496. Maybe upgrade the opamps in the crossover, if they're something mediocre.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:15 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I have tried and for the time being rejected opamp based active crossovers.
They are too noisy. I tried optimising the components around the opamps to reduce the noise but was only partially successful. I used opa275
Old 13th November 2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Did you use those boards that Jens designed Andrew? I have my own designs and have never had any problems.
Old 15th November 2009, 02:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
I'd stick with the original op-amp crossover... there must be fewer active devices in the signal path than with the DCX2496. Maybe upgrade the opamps in the crossover, if they're something mediocre.
Easier said than done, the op-amp's appear to be the SMD type on the original PCB... I only have the skills to do thru hole stuff. The original PCB's have now been removed from the speakers also, in my opinion it would be easier to make a new PCB with just a XO circuit, as the original PCB has both a XO and AMP section on a single PCB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I have tried and for the time being rejected opamp based active crossovers.
They are too noisy. I tried optimising the components around the opamps to reduce the noise but was only partially successful. I used opa275
Well, I'm normally sat within a few feet of these speakers, so I would like then to be as quiet as possible. Admittedly, the stock DCX2496 uses an op-amp based output stage, but I think installing line level audio transformers which is said to give notable improvements.

I also quite like the versatility of the digital XO, being able to fine tune XO slopes and XO points in real time is great, so I think I'm going to go the digital route.

Last edited by MikeHunt79; 15th November 2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 15th November 2009, 06:27 AM   #6
andyr is online now andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post

I have tried and for the time being rejected opamp-based active crossovers.
They are too noisy.
Hi Andrew,

I use Rod Elliott's op-amp based analogue XOs for my 3-way Maggies (tweaked slightly to use a 3rd order bass LP slope) but I would be very interested in constructing a discrete equivalent.

If you have rejected opamp-based active XOs, may I ask where you got the schematic for a discrete analogue XO?

Regards,

Andy
Old 15th November 2009, 07:59 AM   #7
reins is offline reins  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I build similar dipole speakers with both systems. Personally I use an analog XO, because I have a turntable and therefore don't want an digital stage in the system.

For a friend of mine I build a similar system based on the DCX (jannemann upgrade) because he uses only digital sources. I think this is the way to go for systems without analog sources. It is much more flexible and easier to change/play with.

Regards
Stephan
Old 15th November 2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

andyr, I don't think Andrew made a discrete xo, he was saying to try digital.
Old 15th November 2009, 11:29 AM   #9
andyr is online now andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
andyr, I don't think Andrew made a discrete xo, he was saying to try digital.
But surely, Richieboy, digital XOs use opamps?

(He said opamp-based XOs had too much noise.)

Regards,

Andy
Old 15th November 2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

A digital xo does the processing digitally, it's not op-amp based.

Hide this!Advertise here!