John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I even do the Frank thing and play it at 11. IIRC at burning amp someone put on some room clearing music that I loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKuZzR2FknI
Now this is good stuff - as in, how does a playback chain handle this ... very intense sounds, can the equipment reproduce the "chaos" cleanly? IOW, zero distortion recreation of highly distorted sounds - would be an excellent system "killer" ...

Since a bit of a jazz vibe is happening, this is from one of my test CDs, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpKG6zzHH_Q. Treble reproduction in the playback has no place to run and hide in this recording, the cymbals are constantly being worked, at very high levels, throughout the tracks - if the shimmer doesn't come through reasonably well then this album would be a nightmare to listen to ...

I'm not imaging that audio nirvana comes in the shape of the JC-2. You on the other hand seem to thing that it does, along with a solution to global warming. But one day might buy one as a bit of fun. Right now low on my priorities.

Whatever gave you the idea that I think of JC-2 as "audio nirvana"? I think it was a truly good model, but as John pointed out, the Blowtorch preamp was consodered better.

At this moment, I have at home 4 preamps from Philips, Marantz, Harman/Kardon and Luxman. I am compiling a BOM for the Luxman, which sounds excellent even now, and with new capacitors, I think it will sound even better. I also want to investigate the Philips, which comes up short on sound basis but is otherwise top notch because I feel that can be resoved with a few mod touches, and Nigel came up with a suggestion I really want to investigate. With all that already under way, why would I want to start with a third preamp?

Besides, my requirements are a bit special. I need TWO preamp outputs to be able to biamp, and thus far, only the Luxman has that as a standard feature. I could make en external extender circuit, which takes in one and sends out 2 or 3 parallel outputs, but the less in the signal path the better.

My curiosity was triggered by the wish to know how good a copy that was because I have friends whom I know might be interested, and truth be told, the price seems very interesting.

I'll have you know, we knocked down the Fosters brewery about 3 miles from my house. Is now a good time to quote the monty python Australian table wine sketch?
So you Poms have finally woken up to us Aussies taking the mickey.
The Adventures Of Barrie McKenzie film was marketing genius.
Confession I am a real ale bore given half a chance.
No doubt. :p

Dan.

Oh I never drank it. Bitter through and through except when in Germany. I am sure you guys make something drinkable, just not found it yet.
Most Aus beers are lagers, we can't stand that sweet perfumed Pommie ale stuff, and much less the Yank so called beers.
Cascade Premium Lager, Boags Premium, Crown Lager, Victoria Bitter are all good robust lager type beers - sanza.co.uk/Australian_Beer
VB is available on tap in Isle Of Man, I don't know about others.
And we drink 10oz glasses, not pints.

Dan.

what-is-the-difference-between-a-lager-and-an-ale

Last edited:
We call 10oz a half, and only women drink those!
We drink beer cold, not room temp beer.
In Aus hot summer, a pint gets warm before you get to the bottom, maybe ok for an ale, but not a lager.
Most Aus beers are 4.6%-4.7%, stronger than most English ales.

Oz, pints get real, covert immediately to the metric system. beer simply taste better when served chilled in the right portions. Centiliter is the only norm. follow or render your beer tasteless. :lickface:
Beer_in_Australia - Beer_glasses
Ok, we drink 285mL glasses, tastes fine to me.

Dan.

Oh Dan, you'd be happy here in Serbia, where you have your choice of beer with 4.7-5% or 7% alcohol ("strong").

Latest local rave last summer was beer with lemonade (like shandy), grapefruit or something third, I forgot what because I like best a straight beer.

I saw an ad panel for Foster's beer last summer, but it cannot be easily found actually served. Mostly Amstel, Tuborg, Lowenbrau, and local brands some of which are derived frompan European brands, like Lav (Lion) beer being a derivate of Lowenbrau. And last but not least, Czech Stari Pramen Pils, very good when served very cold. Draft and cold, what's better than that?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
We drink beer cold, not room temp beer.
In Aus hot summer, a pint gets warm before you get to the bottom, maybe ok for an ale, but not a lager.
Most Aus beers are 4.6%-4.7%, stronger than most English ales.

Dan.

You drink it cold so you can't taste it :p. Beer has changed in UK. we drink the stronger stuff a lot more now, even tho the 3.8% session ales still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.