ultra-low distortion audio oscillator - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2009, 10:32 PM   #11
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Brad,
Quote:
DDS from the PCM1704 could be paired with analog-to-digital conversion from a PCM1804 to provide a flexible analysis tool, instead of just generating pure tones... though it's basically a novelty soundcard now
Hardly!
Now you are beginning to chase an Audio Precision type system. The generator and A/D sections are two completely different projects that could be included in the same case. Note I didn't mention "card", as in "installed in a computer".

To get the low noise and THD you want, plus input and output signal conditioning, you would need a larger box free from switching power supply noise. It would help to ventilate some of the components that would run warm. That's a side effect of chasing the low noise figures. It's no mistake that AP used an external box for all the analog signal processing. It's all done for a very good reason.

My X-fi Extreme music is a sound card. This is an instrument.

-Chris
Old 3rd April 2009, 05:02 PM   #12
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Square waves are best generated in the analogue domain. Since (for audio) we're concerned mostly with the rise time or the flatness across the top, there's a very good way of generating suitable waves. Use a mercury-wetted relay switched at mains frequency to direct a floating DC supply to the output terminals. You can now use a 10 turn wirewound pot (with dial) to adjust the DC voltage of the (regulated supply), giving you a very accurately calibrated square wave with a rise time in ps (picoseconds). Definitely good enough for audio. The fact that it can only repeat at mains frequency isn't a problem because we look at the edge for HF and the top for LF.
Old 3rd April 2009, 05:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Scott Wurcer chimed in on this thread:

Can we improve this low distortion sine oscillator ?

there's a link to an EDN article to be found.

I built the "Eager Oscillator" (paen to Dale Eagar who wrote the Linear Tech Application Note) -- aka "Uber Oscillator" and describe it here:

http://www.tech-diy.com/TestEquipmen...oscillator.htm

Click the image to open in full size.

For ease of application, I wouldn't recommend the uberoscillator -- instead look for Bob Cordell's version of the SG-505 on his website.
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:40 PM   #14
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi EC8010,
I have to agree with both your points on square waves. I must admit that I'm lazy and either use my generator output, or an HP pulse generator I bought for that purpose. Your relays may in fact do a better job of creating a square wave.

The buzz let's you know it's on!

Hi Jack,
Completely forgot about the SG-505 clone, I'll have t read up on the "Eager Oscillator".

Thank you for the links!

-Chris
Old 8th September 2011, 10:51 AM   #15
mome is offline mome  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekysuavo View Post
i would have to agree with that. DDS from the PCM1704 could be paired with analog-to-digital conversion from a PCM1804 to provide a flexible analysis tool, instead of just generating pure tones... though it's basically a novelty soundcard now, lol! i'll look into it, most definitely.

~ brad.
Hi Brad,
I want you to look at this circuit.
Perhaps it is useful to you?.

Click the image to open in full size.

Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator using NE5532
Old 24th March 2013, 05:13 PM   #16
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

You might enjoy not reinventing the wheel as this has been started already over in another section.... been going on awhile and in various stages... oscillators and analyzers. I am modifying existing oscillators at this time and am down to reading my osc at -140db 2H and 3H so far. ... modified KH4402B.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 24th March 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 26th March 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey all,

Thanks for the insights! I may come back to this later on, but it's a shelved idea for me for now. The DAC/DDS route is something I'll probably play with soon, but at higher (4-6 m band) frequencies...

~ Brad.

Hide this!Advertise here!