How to have a 48v+ on McCurdy preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to have a 48v+ on McCurdy preamp

Hello everyone,

Im a student in audiovisual and I have a big project to do so I would need a little help here..First of all, I'm a french canadian so please give clear information because my english is good but not so good hehe. Thank you.

So I have a DA501 pre amp from Mc Curdy and I need to do some modification on it to have a Phantom Power 48v+. To do that I need to do some modification on the power supply to have a 48v+ output. We have 47v RMS at the end of the power supply but we need 48v+ DC.

At some point,my teacher give us a hint by telling us we need a LM317 high voltage I think. Also he told us we need to know how much voltage is at the transfo to adjust the value of the resistor so we can get 48v+ DC.

I need to do some research but I'm actually very lost about this so if someone could help me out a little, it would be really appreciated. Maybe a explanation of what jo needs to be done to have 48v+ DC and explanation of the concept.

If you can give me some hint also of where to search, it would be usefull because I need to gather information but I'm completly lost in that project.

Thank you
Old 11th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Im sorry I made some mistake here...I have 47v at the end of the power supply but its not regulated for a Phantom power..

At the output of the transfo I have 46.5v

I still have to found a solution to bring 48v+ regulated in the power supply of the pre amp so I can add a Switch whit phantom power ...

Any ideas???
Old 11th March 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Number_Juan The hint that your teacher offered is a possibility. I suggest that you search for the data sheet for the part (LM317) and study it. Look at every parameter and find out what it means. Do you have a schematic for the decice in question? Gather data on each item, even if you dont know where it will take you. Data sheets often include examples. There are many ways to do this. The best solution should answer the question "what is important". Research today is so much easier that it was befor the net. Good luck
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!