active filter 'without' opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello
I was wondering, is it possible to make an active filter with 'normal' components? I mean a bufferstage, then some coils/caps/etc... and then another bufferstage.
So coils/caps can be very smal and no interference from the speakers themselfs and therfore a better and simpler design. And also less opamps in signalpath.
Is it a stupid thought and/or are there any items here on diyaudio?
Thanks!

Hi,

the unity-gain Sallen-Key topology simply relies on an active element with gain 1. It sounds rather weird to me to use OPs with their complex internal structure and OL-gains in the millions what a simple buffer would do anyway, because of its nature!
So you can use a simple transistor-buffer in emitter- or sourcefollower mode. Instead of the emitter/source-resistance I´d opt for a simple transistorized constant-current-source. Have a look at Erno Borbely´s articles about simple SE-JFET-stages. Imho You can´t get any better sonically than that.

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.