Mechanic hum - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2008, 10:55 PM   #31
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Zoran....
You're right....
But I still don't need that web page. All I need is being awake, and not sleepy at work 0600 in the morning
(Working a 14 hrs day, in bed at midnight, and up and shining again at 0445, isn't really beneficial for early morning brainwork...)
The now infamous 10nF being 300+ kohms instead of 6,4 k ( slept over the 50 Hz somehow I guess - several times!) just confirms my points.....

That 10 nF cap is either faulty to be replaced - or if that motor is still vibrating, just get rid of that cap - or replace it with maybe a 1 nF ?
Old 29th November 2008, 11:46 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Thank's God
If I would lie someone I wouldn't be here on the forum.
I respect an old sentence :"If you can't help to someone than, don't make the things even worse"
Also I (we) would like to learn something positive, because " the human bean is learning until is alive" again what would older says.

Now back to the problem
Here is what I found on the net:
http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/papst124_diagram.jpg
Or original link:http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/td124page.html

I never had "Thorens TD 150", so I can't 100% be sure what causing this problem.
If this schematic is correct posted earlier by "Swedish man" and if that cap. of 10nf is originally placed by factory, than simply and logic is to try by replacing with new one.
Or I would de- solder one pin of that 10nf cap and see the result( like I mentioned before and also you)
Nothing bad can be done with this test( I mean to damage motor or ...)
I feel like the guy got scarred not to destroy turntable.
This is just what I think.
If someone know better I would like to see the result , mean solving the problem.
My regards to All
Old 30th November 2008, 11:07 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Nice site zoran

The TD-124 seems to have another motor and other solutions.

I loosened up the cables and took another picture, then i noticed the 10nF is leaky and smeary.
Click the image to open in full size.

DonŽt like single breaker switches anyway, so iŽll take it away and put a double breaker on the back of case, with a new 10nF across it.
Old 30th November 2008, 11:41 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

OK!
Nice to see that finally something is visible wrong.
First just put a new capacitor same value 10nf(MKT) X type, which is used to be connected between phase and neutral, known as X-type safety capacitors:http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html
If this replacing of the cap. solve the problem of turntable, than leave it like it is (original).
I thought before to say for a double switch.
The choice is yours now.
Please inform when you replace that bad capacitor.
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:54 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Well,

those 16 pole synchronous motors like to vibrate when there is some voltage on them. I've the same with my TD160 motor (or was it a recycled TD150 after all).

My guess is that it has to do with a non-perfect phase shift of the phase shifting capacitor.

Anyhow it does definitely pay off to make a dedicated motor controller for it with an oscillator, power amp and step-up transformer(s). There are several threads on this in this forum. It won't be humming after that. Plus as a bonus you'll finally have the exact right speed and less
wow and flutter and less vibration ... Way to go !

greetings, MArco

Hide this!Advertise here!