Mains toroid as MC step up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It would be interesting to try out, but the only thing is that you are dealing with tiny signals. Try it and see I suppose. Maybe a 6V sec and 230 pri would give enough of boost for a MC cart. Probably as low a VA as possible to keep the wires fine.

Something tells me though that the method of winding etc would be important here.

Fran

woodturner-fran said:
It would be interesting to try out, but the only thing is that you are dealing with tiny signals. Try it and see I suppose. Maybe a 6V sec and 230 pri would give enough of boost for a MC cart. Probably as low a VA as possible to keep the wires fine.

Something tells me though that the method of winding etc would be important here.

Fran

I'm a novice at these things but my intuition tells me similar. I think that they would be best encased in a steel box for magnetic shielding.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Given the amount of magnetization current required by even the smallest power toroids I would expect pretty unsatisfactory results compared to a purpose designed mc step up transformer. It might be worth trying if you have 0$ invested in it as an experiment, but don't go out and buy anything expecting stellar results. Some relatively inexpensive surplus microphone transformers from Jensen, Altec, Cinemag or UTC will provide relatively good results for a small outlay compared to a name brand packaged mc transformer.. Quite popular approach currently here and in Japan..

Indeed Kevin,

The usual silicon steel used in power transformers has a very non-linear magnetisation curve at lo levels.

In good step up transformers and mic/line transformers the core is made from an optimal mix of special soft steel and mu-metal to minimise non-linearity and for wide dynamics.

Cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.