Convert RCA box to XLR (phono) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2008, 09:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Doctorcilantro Send a message via MSN to Doctorcilantro Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorcilantro
Default Convert RCA box to XLR (phono)

Hi all!

I'm trying to convert the RCA box on my MG-1 to XLR to mate with a mic pre.

I'm kind of new at this and I talked with the designer of the AEA Big Ribbon mic pre.

He suggested converting the tonearm RCA into a shielded pair, connecting these XLR male (one for each channel I guess?), and connecting to pin 2 & 3 with pin one as the shield, but floating the shield on the turntable end (which is fine because I don't have a ground wire for the MG-1 and no problem currently with noise of hum.)

The problem is that I don't have a shield; the MG-1 wire looks like two pieces of 89259 teflon encased wire where it comes out of the tonearm housing. Not really sure whats in each wire actually, but these two wires run to a cheap RCA box.

I'm assuming that each casing of wire coming from the tonearm housing must have two wires inside? Could I then just put a shield over it, and wire up each channel to individual XLR terminations, and then float the shield on the phono end?

Forgive my ignorance please.

best,
DC
Old 14th August 2008, 07:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Doctorcilantro Send a message via MSN to Doctorcilantro Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorcilantro
I have made some progress I guess.

The phono wires are standard hot and ground for each channel; covered wire (to center) comes out of another wire and the shield of the big one is the neg. conductor.

I stripped some 89259 and have two shields ready and I also have some XLR cables broken down ready to solder onto each cable:

shield pin 1
center conductor pin 2
outer conductor pin 3
float shield at phono end
(2) .05 microfarad caps 250v across ? can't remember where I was told to put these......

Jon
Old 17th August 2008, 02:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

you always can try to built simple RCA to XLR converter with DRV134..

you could search for it on pass labs
Old 20th August 2008, 07:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I'm wiring up the the cable balanced with floated shields.

Jon

Hide this!Advertise here!