new phono stage or old preamp with phono?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading a number of threads here where people complain about the parts quality, engineering, and performance of various new inexpensive (<$300) phono stages (e.g., Pro-Ject Phonobox). This got me to wondering -- for a similar amount of money, would it be better to buy an old (80s or older) full-function preamp and just use the phono stage through the tape out (thus bypassing the volume pot)? For example, I've seen older full-function preamps (generally with switchable MM and MC stages and selectable loading) from reputable companies like NAD, Forte (Nelson Pass!), and PS Audio for less than $300.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
flohmann said:
I've been reading a number of threads here where people complain about the parts quality, engineering, and performance of various new inexpensive (<$300) phono stages (e.g., Pro-Ject Phonobox). This got me to wondering -- for a similar amount of money, would it be better to buy an old (80s or older) full-function preamp and just use the phono stage through the tape out (thus bypassing the volume pot)? For example, I've seen older full-function preamps (generally with switchable MM and MC stages and selectable loading) from reputable companies like NAD, Forte (Nelson Pass!), and PS Audio for less than $300.

Most of these are unlikely to be better than the current Project phono stage with the possible exception of the PS Audio unit.

New phono stage or old preamp with phono?

A friend of mine used two inexpensive Creek phono stages, formerly an MM then MC with quite good sound results. So I would say new stage: save money, rely on warranty, enjoy the music. A friend of mine used two inexpensive Creek phono stages, formerly an MM then MC with quite good sound results. So I would say new stage: save money, rely on warranty, enjoy the music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.