1970's Pioneer sound system. Finding matching components?.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody.

I have a hand-me-down stereo system from my parents that I want to make complete. Because I remember this system from my early childhood I'm kinda attached to it. And hey it does sound pretty good too.

So what I have is a Pioneer amplifier and tuner from about 1975 and I would like to match it if possible to a turntable and even possibly a tape player as well.

The two components I have are:

SA-7300 Stereo Amplifier

TX-5300 Stereo Tuner

I have been looking around the internet looking up Pioneer turntables from that era and there seem to be so many. Some have a wood finish, some are metal.

Can someone advise me on what would have been a good match with these two components that I already have.

Just in case you are interested, I come from Sydney Australia. The speakers I have are the Australian made Krix. I bought them in 1995. Obviously they don't make them anymore but they look very much like these ones. http://www.krix.com.au/Product/Detail.aspx?p=44&id=59 I think they sound great.

Anyway I love my Pioneer equipment, I would just like to make them complete and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

planet10 Thanks for that.

Yes I thought that might be the case. I have seen that model being sold on ebay in England and here in Australia. Funny that they went for the wooden look rather than the metal though.

May I ask if there was a matching tape deck from that era too? I've got lots of old tapes too that I would love to be able to play from time to time. I'm sure as far as quality of sound is concerned, it is probably a technology that should be forgotten, but I just can't help myself!

Thanks again.

Oh and not meaning to change the subject completely but it is related to the idea of putting a sound system together. Up until now I have been using a portable CD player when playing CDs on the Pioneer/Krix system that I have. I'm just wondering if I would notice a difference in the quality of the sound if I invested in a "full size" CD player. I notice that Pioneer do not make a simple CD player (at least I could not find one on their Australian website) but there are plenty of other companies that do such as NAD, Cambridge.

Perhaps something like the Cambridge Audio Azur 340C Single CD Player (Silver). I found this at my local audio shop found here: http://www.hifitrader.com.au/prod270.htm

Maybe I would simply be wasting my money. I really have no idea how the Pioneer SA-7300 compares to current amplifiers. Perhaps not very well and hence I would not notice any change in quality of sound with a more expensive CD player such as the one I mentioned above.

Anyway thanks for your help.

There are some folks who are of the opinion that this years mid-FI CD player (if you can find one) is always better than last year's top-of-the line model. Whether that's true or not I will let you decide.

I replaced my new era synthesized tuner with a Pioneer -- it has made listening to FM here in the NYC area much more enjoyable.

I started a thread on replacing the amp innards of my SX-838 receiver with lateral MOSFETs and a good driver chip --

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you can put new wine in old skins.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Michae1 said:
Actually it has occurred to me that the whole point of this website is to NOT deal with new and ready made sound equipment but rather enjoying older technology

Actually, the number 1 purpose of this site is DIY, but there are enough old farts that yes, there's lots of old stuff too. Just look at my avatar. Boxes and horns from the 60's, just like me.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Michae1 said:
May I ask if there was a matching tape deck from that era too? I've got lots of old tapes too that I would love to be able to play from time to time. I'm sure as far as quality of sound is concerned, it is probably a technology that should be forgotten, but I just can't help myself!

A reel-to-reel for sure. A cassette deck i'm not sure. You can ggogle the chronology but as i remember it, PL-12 PL-15 were end of life just as i started at the hifi store in 1976 and it was shortly after that we saw our 1st Advent cassette deck -- the ones that made cassette a viable format.

dave

Michae1 said:

Check out vintage cassette. Lots of decks to drool over if you're into cassettes.

I still have a Nakamichi 680 that I bought from the local hifi dealer in 1980. It works if all the planets are aligned and the moon is full.:xeye:

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.