Use of Diodes in mono and stereo signal splicing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a question. I got a GPS for the car over the holidays and connected it to my car stereo by way of making a Y cable and Y'ing it in along with my Sirius sattelite radio into the audio in jack on my head unit.

Works great for what I need but problem I realized after was the signal from the gps is mono and the Sirius radio is stereo and by my splicing the L and R channels together at the GPS connection end results in more or less bridging the L and R outs of the Sirius radio as well.

What are the best diodes to use to solve this, or is there a better alternative? My plans were to instal diodes inline along the L and R channel wires at the connection point at the GPS after the place I bridged the signal.

Also just to note the head unit only has 1 input so is reason why I went this route and could simply dump to one channel only, but it sounds better when watching a movie on the gps if both channels are working, even if it is still just mono ;)

Diodes won't do what you want but at least will generate lot's of funky distortion. Use resitors to sum the signalss. A couple of Ks will probably be fine. Of course using the same stereo input at the same time for both stereo and mono channels will be bad for stereo separation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.