diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analog Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/)
-   -   How easy is it to convert from 110V AC to 240V AC? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/112906-how-easy-convert-110v-ac-240v-ac.html)

spikeyfaz 1st December 2007 03:35 PM

How easy is it to convert from 110V AC to 240V AC?

I've been offered an old kenwood DD turntable for next to nothing. No idea what model as I have yet to see it but I understand that it is designed to run of 110V AC.

Is it possible to adapt it to run off 240V AC by just replacing the mains transformer or is it more complicated than that?

sawreyrw 1st December 2007 03:40 PM

I think the easiest thing to do is use a 240 to 110 volt step down transformer.

kevinkr 1st December 2007 03:40 PM

You may be able to find a suitable replacement mains transformer or just use an auto-transformer to step down the 240V to 120V.. If the table has a stroboscope for 60Hz only (unlikely) you may have a little trouble setting speeds..

spikeyfaz 1st December 2007 04:04 PM

Yes, a step-down transformer seems the easiest way forward, (I hadn't even thought of that that option!).

From what I recall it does have a strobe ring on the outside of the platter. Is there any way I can get this to work in the UK? Seems as a shame not to be able to use the strobe .:(

zeonrider 1st December 2007 04:56 PM

Hi !spikeyfaz

What is the model of turntable ?

regards zeoN_Rider

spikeyfaz 1st December 2007 06:22 PM

I've just come off the 'phone from the current owner of said turntable and he informs me it's a 3070.

He just want's shot of it as he cannot use it due to the 110V AC configuration. I figure it would be worth having a play with so I think I'll buy it and see what happens.

dangus 2nd December 2007 12:30 AM

Some (most?) turntables that use a line-powered neon strobe have two sets of markings on the platter for 50 and 60 Hz operation.

spikeyfaz 2nd December 2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dangus
Some (most?) turntables that use a line-powered neon strobe have two sets of markings on the platter for 50 and 60 Hz operation.
This tt has unfortunately only one set of markings. Is there a way I can get the strobe to work properly by using another light source??:scratch:

AndrewT 2nd December 2007 12:01 PM

Hi,
count how many times it turns in three minutes. 100T+-0.25T should be good enough.
Forget the strobe. It changes with the mains frequency.

spikeyfaz 2nd December 2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
count how many times it turns in three minutes. 100T+-0.25T should be good enough.
Forget the strobe. It changes with the mains frequency.

Good idea. I think I was just after the pose value with a nice big strobe on the tt :cool: but so long as it sounds good then that's all that maters.