Need advice, build control/switch box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the issue. I've got three turntables, preamp, receiver, CD player, cassette deck, 8-track, and reel-to-reel deck. I operate a business doing analog to digital transfers and I'm continually crawling behind the equipment, unplugging RCA cords and plugging them into the computer sound card as I need to switch from cassette to 8-track, etc.... It takes a lot of time and it's driving me nuts!

Ideally, what I'd have is a control box allowing me to switch:

Turntable 1 (stereo)

1. Off
2. Preamp input
3. Receiver Phono input 1

Turntable 2 (mono)

1. Off
2. Preamp input
3. Receiver Phono input 2

Turntable 3 (78 rpm)

1. Off
2. Preamp input

Preamp (output)

1. Computer soundcard input
2. Receiver Aux input

CD Player
Cassette
8-Track
Reel-To-Reel

I'd like to easily switch the output from any of these components to either of the two tape inputs (or Aux input) on the receiver, or to the Computer soundcard input.

I hope this all makes sense. I don't really use the tape decks for recording much, so I can easily plug those into the receiver for the occasional need.

I've got various 'junk' steel audio component housings that would work for housing a control box. I have basic soldering and fabrication skills. I have some experience with this sort of thing from building the preamp (Bugle Pro).

My problem is with basic design and specs for the various switches. I look through my huge Digikey catalog and my eyes glaze over. I'm lost and don't know where to start.

Questions: Is there a commercially available control box that would provide these functions? I assume not so I'm thinking of building something. Are there any educational websites offering basic advice for a DIY novice like myself who needs help? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave in Wyoming

I once laid my hand on such a switch box. It uses mechanical connected switches (old fashioned radio-buttons). Works quite good but was from a Dutch or German manufacturer (Vogel).

Easy work around: Split each cable in the middle using RCA male-female connectors. have the parts of the cables with the splits lying on your workbench. You can then plug/ unplug the right equipment without crawling behind the machines.

you could even consider making an old fashioned telephone switchboard look-a-like with rca cables instead of telephone cables.

succes, MArco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.