Tuner Capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2007, 09:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tuner Capacitors

Hi Everyone,
I am replacing some of the caps on an old tuner , they are the electrolytic type.
My question is would it be possible to use a larger value on the voltage? For example 22uf @ 25volt with a 22Uf @ 50 volt? Some caps are just not available anymore.

Thanks
Slate
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:26 PM   #2
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Slate,

This is a list right from FMTunerInfo.com for TU717 DIY Mods

As it turns out the two caps that you wanted to replace and the one cap I suggested are all three recommended here just in two different places. Sometimes two heads are better than one!

Sansui TU-517 and TU-717

Here's Jim again with Sansui TU-517 and TU-717 mods and tweaks:

First rule: Double-check, no, triple-check the polarity of all electrolytics and diodes when installing new ones. RCAs, IECs, coax connectors, cleaning this and that part are a given in most audio circles and need not be rehashed here. All differences between the TU-717 and TU-517, as far as these mods are concerned, will be noted. Starting with the power supply board marked F-2681, I usually change caps with good caps ranging from the stock value to three times as large. Also, be sure to use the stock voltage rating or higher when choosing new caps. I usually keep the same value or go as high as doubling the value of the power supply and decoupling caps. You can go from there per your expertise. Except for C25, I've not listed any caps below the value of 10 F. Below is a list of parts I replace.

Power supply board #F-2681:
C03, C04: 470 F 35V - Use the same brand and value in both positions.
C05: 100 F 25V
C08: 100 F 10V
C09: 10 F 25V
C10: 47 F 16V

Remember that the transistors, zeners and diodes "see" the heat when you change these caps, so good soldering practices need to be observed. I always change the rectifier diodes last in this step. Those are D01 and D02. As in the other mods, use Schottkys or the diode of your choice. Make sure they have a voltage rating of 100V or greater.

Decoupling caps to change around the boards are as follows:

Circuit Board #F-2678 - When reading the schematic left to right, top to bottom:
C24: 100 F 16V
C34: 33 F 10V
C50: 10 F 10V
C82: 10 F 16V
C100: 47 F 16V
C101: 47 F 6.3V
C74: 47 F 16V
C73: 47 F 16V
C72: 100 F 16V

Circuit Board #F-2730 - The one under the metal case.
C18: 100 F 16V

Circuit Board #F-2680 - The one directly behind the front level control. Be careful removing this little troublemaker. On the first TU-717, I took the entire tuner frame apart! Bob walked me through my second 717, and his method is much safer and easier. You must remove the faceplate, and remove the screws and nut that hold the board and volume control in place. Remove the wiring harness from the twists on the bottom. This gets those wires out of your way. Now lift the string off the small wheel closest to the back of the board to be removed. Then you barely, just barely, have enough room to pull the circuit board from its hole. Now you can replace with new caps. Remember, while it's out and dangling, there are quite a few coupling caps on that board to be replaced also.

C25: 3.3 F 50V for the 717 and 6.8 F 50V for the 517
C09 and C10: 33 F 16V - I replace with the same value or leave alone. Use the same brand and value in both these positions.
C11 and C12: 470 F 6.3V - Use the same brand and value in both these positions.
C23: 100 F 16V

Circuit Board #F-2679 - No changes on the TU-517. Change these on the TU-717:
C05: 100 F 16V
C03: 10 F 16V

Audio path coupling caps to change around the boards are as follows:
Circuit Board #F-2730
C17: 47 F 16V - Use the same F value, audio grade.
C16: 10 F 16V - Use the same F value, audio grade.

Circuit Board #F-2678
C71: 3.3 F 50V in the TU-717 - Replace with one 10 F, audio grade.
C71 and C122: 4.7 F 27V in the TU-517 - Replace C71 with one 10 F, audio grade. Leave C122 blank. These were in parallel.
C75 and C76: 10 F 25V - Change to 10 to 22 F, audio grade, both the same.

Circuit Board #F-2680: The troublemaker.
C01 and C02: 1 F Mylar? - Replace with good film caps (both the same) that will fit, or leave stock. Remember you have to stuff the bad boy back in place!
C13 and C14: 10 F 25V - Replace with 10 to 22 F, audio grade, both the same.
C19 and C20: 3.3 F 10V - Replace with 4.7 to 10 F, audio grade, both the same.
C21 and C22: 10 F 25V - Replace with 10 to 22 F, audio grade, both the same.

And that's it, except for the most important factor: a good alignment with good, matched filters. But that is another story for another page on the TIC. jim...

Maybe you can start with this for a basic Framework!

Hopefully if there are better options, the experienced guys here will make recommendations!

Regards//Keith
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Keith,
I have the same sheets from the FM tuner. The problem I am having is getting some real good quality blackgates in the proper voltage. The UF values are there , but the Voltage seem to be
higher, I just want to know if it is ok to use the higher voltage or will it pose some issues?
By the way Keith , I ordered all new caps for the tuner today, I got them from Digy Key.
I got the Nichicon VR Aluminum Electrolytic Caps. Man were they ever inexpensive, 22 caps
for $3.50, The audio grade ones are another story, they really cost.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are a lot of other choices than simply Blackgates everywhere.

Unfortunately, I don't have the experience to say which would be best in each situation.

Somebody here knows! I just hope they stop by!

Shipping probably cost more than the 22 Caps!

But also remember the rectifiers and diodes need to be upgraded too! Schottkys are what seem to be preferred.

Regards//Keith
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I use blackgate because they are available locally which is a bonus, plus they are pretty good.
Only the caps in the Audio path I am installing the exotic blackgates which are 3 of them, the other are standard balckgates, and the rest will be the Nichicon.

Keith, where can I get Schottkys ?

Slate
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Using a capacitor with a higher voltage rating is no problem,go ahead and order 50V caps,if that's all you can find. It won't hurt anything.
Some times there might be a space issue,since higher voltage caps tend to be a bit larger..but,then again,newer caps tend to be smaller than the older types,so a new 50V cap might be the same size as an older 25V cap..perhaps even smaller!
Old 4th October 2007, 01:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks DJ!

Slate, This is another place we need help as which diodes to replace with Schottkys and what values should be used! From what I read, these really open up the Tuner (and most component electronics) to sound nicer.

Mouser and Digi-Key both carry them.

There is a lot to read here at DIYAudio about coupling and decoupling caps and that might help you make choices!

Regards//Keith
Old 4th October 2007, 10:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes Keith,
It would be nice to know what diodes , zeners and transistors to use.
I have the Capacitors down pact. Now it's just the other things, and the Sansui
will go into surgery.

Dido , Thanks DJ , for the info.

Slate.

PS. I tried to navigate the FM-Tuners site and it's not easy, it seems like I am just spinning my wheels , they really need funding.
Old 5th October 2007, 07:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Keith,
I spoke to Chris at Parts Connexion about the Diode rectifiers, and the one that is in the Sansui
is a 1R 100 and Chris gave me the schottkys number to use 1A 600v, they look different than the ones that are in there now, I am curious of what diodes really do ? And what benefit would it be to use the Schottkys?

Slate
Old 6th October 2007, 02:58 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Slate,

I am going to do a search here on Schottkys for source components (tuners and CD Players and Preamps too) and see what comes up. I am sure after a few dozen threads, I think we will understand better exactly what they do.

A lot of the guys here all agree that Cleaning up the Power supply is one of the best things to do and it helps every other mod! I guess it is in the foundation category (like quality PCBs, etc.). No matter how good the house is, with a bad foundation, there is going to be trouble and sometimes a lot of it!

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!