Tuner Capacitors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2007, 03:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Keith,
Just completed the the upgrades, this what I did , I removed the previous Black Gate standard
from the audio path and replaced with Black Gate FK series and 1 N series. The power supply
has been upgraded as well all standard Black Gates 6 of them in total. I removed the old diodes
in the power supply, that is D01, D02, D03, they have been replaced with Cree 1 amp 600v
schottkys diodes and last but not least the transformer has been isolated using some rubber
mounts. The sound? All I could say is "HOLY COW" . Keith, you can even imagine what you are about to hear, and there is only 10 minutes on them, wait until they burn in. The power supply did wonders for the bass, It sounds lush and extremely revealing, nothing is lost. I will be replacing the rabbit ears soon for a new Magnum Dynalab ST-2, and I am in the process of putting together some real nice interconnects ( WBT and Belden 89259 )

Slate
Old 14th October 2007, 02:28 PM   #12
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Slate,

Fantastic! I guess all in all, it wasn't really that expensive either! Now, don't forget to remove the Balun and scratch the 300 ohm antenna connection and add a 75 ohm panel mount F connector (high quality) directly from the PCB to the connector. That will pull in the stations better that are on the edge.

Also, You can do one more improvement but this really should be done by a FM Tuner Pro. Replace the filters (more narrow and higher quality) and have it aligned.

Then the antenna as you said you are doing. Use only high quality RG6 cable with quality connectors and Nirvana!

I promised some Pictures of what I did with my ST-2 for attractive indoor mounting. We live in a Townhouse that is on the second floor and we have a loft on the third floor so I put it up as high as possible for all to see. We can't mount it outside as per the Co-op Association.

Here are a few Pics:

Regards//Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna on oak.jpg (13.4 KB, 230 views)
Old 14th October 2007, 02:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna from loft comp.jpg (9.4 KB, 214 views)
Old 14th October 2007, 02:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oak holder for antenna comp.jpg (15.0 KB, 203 views)
Old 14th October 2007, 02:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

last one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna from below comp.jpg (9.3 KB, 202 views)
Old 14th October 2007, 02:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the pics Keith,
You should be able to pull in some stations with that set up, I may have to install mine outside
I have a 2 story home and the system will be on the main floor.
Where can I buy a High Quality 75 ohm panel mount F connector?
As for the filters Mike at FM tuner told me for a start to replace one of the 4 filters with a 150,
that wouldn't be that difficult....

Thanks
Slate

PS. You know it would not be that difficult to install iec power cord system......
Old 14th October 2007, 03:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Slate,

I wish I could put the antenna outside and high!

I certainly endorse replacing the Power cord all the way to the Transformer. That means IEC Inlet, Internal wiring and a High Value Power Cord (email me if you want to know who I like and use for both Power Cords and ICs and very reasonable with Eichmann Bullets on the ICs).

But the Power Cord will have the least impact on the sound compared too all the other things you are doing or have done. It may impact the Bass even more and open it up with more air and presence. But it might also be so slight that you might not notice too much. I believe you will hear an impact. It made a big impact on my Amp!

Go for the Filters! How did you get a hold of Mike?

I'll look into the connector some more and post a hyperlink!

Regards//Keith
Old 14th October 2007, 03:17 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I figured that Keith,
it will cost a small fortune and with little effect to replace the power cord.
As for contacting Mike, his email address is on FM-Tuner.
Yes let me know about the female FM connector.

Thanks
Slate.
Old 14th October 2007, 05:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Slate,

Take a look at these two (they mount differently and try to get gold). If they don't sell just one, find something that works with the way you want to mount it on the back of your TU717 and 75 ohms too:

http://www.mmwavetech.com/shop.net/p...dname=MW-818-G

http://www.mmwavetech.com/shop.net/p...dname=MW-802-H

Email will be sent with IC and Power Cord place hyperlink! Great Value!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith
Old 5th March 2008, 07:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,
I am planning to do some more upgrades on my tuner ( Sansui TU-717) , I am going to install
an IEC AC Male plug, so that I could run various power cords. The original cord is a lamp cord,
it doesn't have a ground, should I be installing a ground? If so where is the best location to ground?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!