Carver + null difference test + how can i copy a amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ,

I am interested in Bob Carver , expensive amp copying with a cheap one technology.

Is there any book , article describe fully the method ?
I am talking about replicate transfer function.

And what is null difference test ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I heard some of those amplifiers with the transfer function emulation, to put it in simple terms they didn't sound that much like what they were supposedly emulating. He claimed to be able to emulate the sound of an expensive tube amplifier with a couple of passive components in a much cheaper solid state amplifier. Essentially one of the things he did was raise the output impedance of the SS amplifier by inserting a resistor in series with the output, emulating the higher output impedance of the tube amplifier he was modeling. Some components in the feedback loop would get tweaked to limit the bandwidth, etc.. It didn't sound all that close if you were well acquainted with good tube sound.

I think the parameters he measured showed quite a good correlation, perhaps they didn't quite tell the whole story, but in any case I didn't like the end result.

This is very old news incidentally. (>15yrs ago)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mustafa,
There has been one heck of a lot of information written on these amplifiers. Search through the forum for those threads.

There are a few ex-Carver technicians kicking around as well. After you've had a good read, possibly they can answer some specific questions for you. It is tiring writing the same information over and over. After you read, you will have a good idea who these people are.

Hi Kevin,
This is very old news incidentally. (>15yrs ago)
Oh yes, the story is much older than 15 years ago.
It didn't sound all that close if you were well acquainted with good tube sound.
It did sound extremely close to the particular amp he tweaked it for. I didn't care to find out which amp, but the reviewers made the choice I think.
Some of his amps sounded pretty good. Others - well.......

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.