Tooling (lathe / mill) recommendations ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After spending weeks reading /researching this forum, I would like to get started building a DIY tonearm and/or turntable. I have a large amount of experience in woodworking but none in the area of metalworking.

Can anyone recommend good tools that I will be happy with and allow me to get the job done?

I don't know how fanatical I'll have to be in regards to machine tolerances. I was hoping to keep the budget below US$400. I'm not adverse to buying used tools.

I know I will need a lathe. What are the other tools I will need (milling machine) ?

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Lathe & Mill

Hi Chris, I'm very happy with my Chinese-made mini-lathe (7x8) and tabletop mill. Both are sold under various brand names in the US. They are very basic tools, but there is alot of information, as well as bits and pieces, available online. There are forums devoted to these lathes eg www.mini-lathe.org.uk. If you are not familiar with these products check out www.LittleMachineShop.com also. I found that with a milling attachment on the lathe I could do most anything on the scale of something the size of a tonearm. Hope this helps....Murray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.