DIY DJ mixer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Default DIY DJ mixer

Does anyone have shematics for this?

thx
Old 19th January 2003, 08:02 PM   #2
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

I don't have schematics at hand, but you can either simply select your favourite commercial products and try getting service manuals for them (often there is a DJ somewhere on the net who scanned service manuals of his gear and put them online) or you can design a DJ mixer yourself exactly the way you like it. It's easy if you don't mind extensive use of operational amplifiers (almost all commercial DJ mixers are opamp based anyway). I've built several simple mixers - I'll try to help you if you like. The case is the most difficult part of building a mixer.
Old 19th January 2003, 08:48 PM   #3
djdan is offline djdan  Romania
diyAudio Member

If you give me more information about what do you want , i'll try to help you.

Example : How many channels , tone eq , crossfader ... etc .
Old 19th January 2003, 08:49 PM   #4
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
Their is some stuff at:
www.sound.au.com
Old 9th February 2003, 11:33 AM   #5
Txu is offline Txu  Spain
diyAudio Member

In http://www.rane.com/djcat.html
very goods schematics
Old 9th February 2003, 12:05 PM   #6
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: DIY DJ mixer

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by Bricolo
Does anyone have shematics for this?
Schematics for these things are not that difficult to find. What I find much more important is that if you want to build sucha mixer from scratch you really think about the features you need to DJ well.

I ended up in my days using two heavily modded DJ "Battle Mixers" with a homebuild "loop in" tonecontrol (one per mixer) and all that into a big Pro Audio 12/4/2 Mixer to get enough effect loop ins and the like, plus really good facilities on the Vocal channel and for my Korg Musicworkstation/Keyboard.

I made sure I had a Bass "punch-in/out" in case I wanted to mix tracks that had either clashing bass lines or snares. Punch out the bass, mix on the snare and when you feel it's time get the right cut and punch the new tracks bass in, the previous tracks bass out. Of course, running the two mixers allowed me a full "preview" option so I could put a full preview of the mix I was doing on my local monitors (JBL Control 5's) to hear broadly how it would sound.

I think a setup such as described is more than extreme, but it is an example of having customised the whole setup to a certain style (seamless music most of the time, MC over that). Other styles may need other setups.

Sayonara
Old 16th August 2004, 02:29 PM   #7
daz007 is offline daz007  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Arrow DIY Dj mixer

Hi all

I just joined this community,as I have recently realised my goal in life-to build a Dj mixer! I hope I can find the help here that I need,even from reading the posts I get the feeling I'm among the right group of people! OK,so here's the requirements of the mixer-to-be....

2 channel (no EQ)
Triple crossfading system (like Red Sound's Infader)
High and low pass filters on each channel
LED Metering

So can anyone recommend a suitable design of mixer that I could modify for myself? Also,the filters could be tricky-if they're to sound good. I read a post from a guy called Matt who also wanted to make DJ style filters,but I don't know whether he succeeded or not...

All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Daz
Old 8th July 2008, 03:26 AM   #9
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's hard to compete with either the inexpensive made-in-China mixers, or with the price of good used mixers on eBay. However, it does almost make sense to build something like or inspired by the UREI 1620. These mixers were designed back in the early '80s, and continue to be favourites of world-class house DJs playing on gigantic club systems. Rane built a "tribute" mixer, the 2016, and something resembling the reanimated corpse of UREI is selling a new version of the 1620.

The service manual, with schematics, is available from JBL: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...0%20manual.pdf Board layouts... searching will turn up some pictures that show the phono card solder side clearly. The circuitry isn't exotic, but there are some nice touches like the Alps rotary potentiometers, and the use of two opamp stages in the RIAA preamp.

Possible improvements: change the phono stages from quad to dual or single opamps, or discrete. Replace the many electrolytic coupling caps with film caps, or add DC servos as appropriate. Better voltage regulators, possibly one per input channel (or pair). Crossfader, tone controls or kills for each input channel, if you need that kind of thing. A wide range level meter would be nice, as would clipping or headroom indicators for each active stage.

There's also a Bozak mixer from the 1970's that inspired the 1620, the CMA-10-2DL, which is also still sought after. A copy of the owner's manual with schematics can be found, along with pictures of some of the boards.
Old 8th July 2008, 05:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

http://djdalelee.tripod.com/bozak.html

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ead.php?t=6304

Hide this!Advertise here!