Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 7th October 2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Fitero is offline Fitero  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Maya 200 Current output

I'm curious how the Maya would do under difficult speaker loads such as a well known speaker of 86.4dB/W that is known to thrive when driven with monster amplifiers.

How about some of the planar speakers whose impedance drops pretty low under load?

Any pearls of wisdom that you might share with the curious Hugh or others?

Last edited by Fitero; 8th October 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 8th October 2017, 01:47 AM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

I have tried the Maya with Quad ESL63s here in Melbourne and it didn't even break a sweat. The owner was amazed, as they are a very tough load.

OTOH, this is not your question; what is the performance with 86dB/watt/metre? I think pretty good, because it has 65V rails and very powerful output devices so I would assume no issue at all. One of these devices is rated to 69A, and the other is 48A. That should be sufficient, particularly as mosfets, which do not suffer from secondary breakdown, although there are some other constraints. So, up to around 300W and even at 4R loads the Maya should be absolutely fine.

Thanks for the questions!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 12th December 2017, 11:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

Just an update... I sold my big JBLs and have been without speakers for about a month, and just today my buddy brought over a pair of those 86db/W speakers I mentioned earlier.

I've only been listening for a few hours now, but the Maya doesn't appear to be adversely affected by the more difficult load. The case is a few degrees warmer, which is barely warm.

These speakers sound quite a bit different than the JBLs, but I've also just changed my preamp tubes, which apparently need about 50 hours or so to open up, so I can't tell yet which one is the main causal difference in the sound.

That being said, there is more than enough bass and power to drive these big speakers to levels way louder than I can stand. Nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0385.jpg (354.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 12th December 2017, 11:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My God, Peter, those speakers look like control panels on a Stargate!! They look terrific, like post-modern decor.......

I would actually expect the Maya to drive difficult speakers because they have low feedback, less than 30dB. Maya drives ESL63 to almost destruction of the diaphragms.

I'm very pleased the bass is up to standard. You are a critical listener, like so many here, but with your experience with lots of systems you are a better judge than most!

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated.

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 13th December 2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 13th December 2017, 03:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That is kind of you to word it that way Hugh. My wife and friends would say that I am more obsessive and neurotic than most. Ha!

My wife walked in yesterday, took one look at the speakers and said "they look like octopus tentacles, put the covers on them".
Old 13th December 2017, 05:51 PM   #6
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
Hi Hugh,

Just an update... I sold my big JBLs and have been without speakers for about a month, and just today my buddy brought over a pair of those 86db/W speakers I mentioned earlier.

I've only been listening for a few hours now, but the Maya doesn't appear to be adversely affected by the more difficult load. The case is a few degrees warmer, which is barely warm.

These speakers sound quite a bit different than the JBLs, but I've also just changed my preamp tubes, which apparently need about 50 hours or so to open up, so I can't tell yet which one is the main causal difference in the sound.

That being said, there is more than enough bass and power to drive these big speakers to levels way louder than I can stand. Nice!
Holy s*** ( can i swear in this forum? )
I thought my SF's were big but those are the real WAF killer !
Old 13th December 2017, 06:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Haha!!! Hence why I am only allowed free rein in the small, corner bedroom of our apartment.

At least I didn't have to cut the table in order to make the buggers fit like I had to for the last ones.
Old 13th December 2017, 09:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Peter,

Your wife's comment reminds me of John Cleese in Fawlty Towers. He dashes into his bolt hole near the hotel front reception and turns on his small cassette player for a spot of classical music.

Sybil: 'What's that terrible racket?'
Fawlty: 'Brahms Third Racket, Darling'.
Sybil: 'Oh. Well it's nasty, turn it off'.

Ah well, culture comes in different ways........

Hugh
Old 14th December 2017, 11:43 AM   #9
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I got some comments from visitors and Wife of course when i brought home the new Subwoofer. Almost everyone thinks its a coffee table but is intrigued why the hell it does not have legs ....

I am talking about a SVS PB16, for those who never met the beast, here it is:
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofer Exclusive Pre-Review Blog - AVSForum.com

(that is not me, but i found it funny this guy unboxing it)
Old 21st January 2018, 05:50 AM   #10
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf View Post

I am talking about a SVS PB16, for those who never met the beast, here it is:
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofer Exclusive Pre-Review Blog - AVSForum.com

(that is not me, but i found it funny this guy unboxing it)
Don't know if you've seen the Aussie film "Crocodile Dundee", saf ... but I would have to say that's not a sub ... this is a sub!

I have 2 of these sealed subs:
* outside dimensions of the cabinets are 890 high x 395 wide x 600 deep.
* 15" Dayton dual voice coil 'Ultimax' driver.
* 19mm max excursion.
* 800w (into 4 ohms) Hypex plate amp - interestingly enough, this has a linear PS ... not a SMPS!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub cabinet & driver.jpg (538.1 KB, 107 views)

Maya 200 Current outputHide this!Advertise here!