Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 18th October 2017, 12:55 PM   #21
bogdan_borko is offline bogdan_borko  Serbia
diyAudio Member

If it's 3dB difference for speakers, you are using double the power on a less sensitive model fot the same spl.

Last edited by bogdan_borko; 18th October 2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 01:06 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

But, after all 89dB it's not so low sens.for a speakers so I don't see how loud yo listen to them to raise the amplifier temperature 30 deg above ambient??
Old 18th October 2017, 08:52 PM   #23
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_borko View Post
But, after all 89dB it's not so low sens.for a speakers so I don't see how loud yo listen to them to raise the amplifier temperature 30 deg above ambient??
It doesn't matter, b_b ... that's the kind of listening level he likes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_borko View Post
If it's 3dB difference for speakers, you are using double the power on a less sensitive model for the same spl.
Maybe he needs to get a 300w Maya for the smaller speakers (as heat is not good!).

Andy
Old 18th October 2017, 10:49 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Or biger heatsinks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:34 PM   #25
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hello Everyone,
I've been running Maya's for longer than anyone. I've used several different power outputs. I've run them on different speakers. And I generally use smaller heatsinks than the standard Maya heatsink Hugh provides.
I have never had a Maya heatsink ever get anywhere other than warmish, never HOT.
For the record my heatsinks are 10" x 3", always inside a vented case and my hardest speaker load has far lower efficiency than the SF mini monitors.

I just don't know how a Maya can run as hot as described. Room temperature is generally going to be around 20C., give or take a couple degrees. So a heatsink reaching even 40C. would be quite warm to the touch and 50C. would be down right HOT.

I sense something is not quite right. Heatsink is non standard, too small, or fins oriented anyway other than vertically. Heatsink inside case and not well ventilated. Heat overstated. Perhaps a thermometer is needed.

Whatever, I don't think it's particularly good to have a Maya running as hot as described.
Old 18th October 2017, 11:39 PM   #26
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Steve,

What is your rail voltage? Felipe runs his at 65V, and at this elevated level and low impedance speakers it could get warm, no question. The question is: HOW hot?

Hugh
Old 19th October 2017, 03:45 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Steve,

What is your rail voltage? Felipe runs his at 65V, and at this elevated level and low impedance speakers it could get warm, no question. The question is: HOW hot?

Hugh
I've run up to 73V rails with low efficiency speaker and the heatsink got warmish, no more than that. Heatsink on that one was 10" X 3 3/4", so still smaller than the standard Maya heatsink.

While I suppose there are conditions that could contribute to warmer than normal operation, like a large room or high volume levels, etc., and I already described differing heatsink criteria. But I didn't read any of this in the post.

And there is nothing bad about warmer than normal heatsinks. But HOT, like Class A HOT, is altogether different.
Old 19th October 2017, 09:50 AM   #28
saf is online now saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Well...let me first say that both amps are IDENTICAL.
I even switched the amps around, to check for flaws and whatever amp is connected to the mini monitor SF, is the one getting HOT.

I do NOT listen to high SPL. In fact...with the amp just idling with no sound, there is a significant temperature difference between them !

I will measure exact temperatures with a proper thermometer and get back here .
Facts are much more reliable than guesses.
Old 19th October 2017, 11:20 AM   #29
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf View Post

I even switched the amps around, to check for flaws and whatever amp is connected to the mini monitor SF, is the one getting HOT.
Very interesting, saf.

But what that says to me is that you need to use a Maya with more output power on the mini monitor SF.

But who knows whether this is due to the:
* mini monitor SF having a lower impedance, or
* mini monitor SF being lower efficiency.

My own experience with this sort of thing is when I had Naim amps driving my (active) Maggies. They used to thermally cut out from time to time (when I was playing PF) ... once I switched to Hugh's original AKSA amps ... this problem went away.

Quote:

I do NOT listen to high SPL. In fact...with the amp just idling with no sound, there is a significant temperature difference between them !
Again, is this because of the:
* lower impedance, or
* lower efficiency?

Quote:

I will measure exact temperatures with a proper thermometer and get back here.
I suggest you really need a laser thermometer to get accurate temps.

Andy
Old 19th October 2017, 10:34 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I will measure exact temperatures with a proper thermometer and get back here .
Facts are much more reliable than guesses.
Yes it would be good to have actual temperatures.
There's nothing really wrong with the heatsink getting warm. But hot hot is another story and while the components on the board are good for 85C, you don't really want to push it much.

Increasing the bias current on my NAKSA80s & Sorayas ... seems to be a good thing!!Hide this!Advertise here!