• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Increasing the bias current on my NAKSA80s & Sorayas ... seems to be a good thing!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But, after all 89dB it's not so low sens.for a speakers so I don't see how loud yo listen to them to raise the amplifier temperature 30 deg above ambient??

It doesn't matter, b_b ... that's the kind of listening level he likes! :)

If it's 3dB difference for speakers, you are using double the power on a less sensitive model for the same spl.

Maybe he needs to get a 300w Maya for the smaller speakers (as heat is not good!). :)

Andy

Hello Everyone,
I've been running Maya's for longer than anyone. I've used several different power outputs. I've run them on different speakers. And I generally use smaller heatsinks than the standard Maya heatsink Hugh provides.
I have never had a Maya heatsink ever get anywhere other than warmish, never HOT.
For the record my heatsinks are 10" x 3", always inside a vented case and my hardest speaker load has far lower efficiency than the SF mini monitors.

I just don't know how a Maya can run as hot as described. Room temperature is generally going to be around 20C., give or take a couple degrees. So a heatsink reaching even 40C. would be quite warm to the touch and 50C. would be down right HOT.

I sense something is not quite right. Heatsink is non standard, too small, or fins oriented anyway other than vertically. Heatsink inside case and not well ventilated. Heat overstated. Perhaps a thermometer is needed.

Whatever, I don't think it's particularly good to have a Maya running as hot as described.

Steve,

What is your rail voltage? Felipe runs his at 65V, and at this elevated level and low impedance speakers it could get warm, no question. The question is: HOW hot?

Hugh

I've run up to 73V rails with low efficiency speaker and the heatsink got warmish, no more than that. Heatsink on that one was 10" X 3 3/4", so still smaller than the standard Maya heatsink.

While I suppose there are conditions that could contribute to warmer than normal operation, like a large room or high volume levels, etc., and I already described differing heatsink criteria. But I didn't read any of this in the post.

And there is nothing bad about warmer than normal heatsinks. But HOT, like Class A HOT, is altogether different.

Well...let me first say that both amps are IDENTICAL.
I even switched the amps around, to check for flaws and whatever amp is connected to the mini monitor SF, is the one getting HOT.

I do NOT listen to high SPL. In fact...with the amp just idling with no sound, there is a significant temperature difference between them !

I will measure exact temperatures with a proper thermometer and get back here .
Facts are much more reliable than guesses.

I even switched the amps around, to check for flaws and whatever amp is connected to the mini monitor SF, is the one getting HOT.

Very interesting, saf. :yikes:

But what that says to me is that you need to use a Maya with more output power on the mini monitor SF.

But who knows whether this is due to the:
* mini monitor SF having a lower impedance, or
* mini monitor SF being lower efficiency.

My own experience with this sort of thing is when I had Naim amps driving my (active) Maggies. They used to thermally cut out from time to time (when I was playing PF) ... once I switched to Hugh's original AKSA amps ... this problem went away. :D

I do NOT listen to high SPL. In fact...with the amp just idling with no sound, there is a significant temperature difference between them !

Again, is this because of the:
* lower impedance, or
* lower efficiency?

I will measure exact temperatures with a proper thermometer and get back here.

I suggest you really need a laser thermometer to get accurate temps. :eek:

Andy

Yes it would be good to have actual temperatures.
There's nothing really wrong with the heatsink getting warm. But hot hot is another story and while the components on the board are good for 85C, you don't really want to push it much.

"I can testify my own application, where i have 2 Mayas driving 2 different speakers in same room.

Both Mayas have identical construction and identical vertical fin heatsinks.
Maya 1 is on top of the rack, nothing on top of it and never gets more than warmish.
Maya 2 is on middle shelve of the rack, with about 5cm of space above it. This amp gets HOT ! Very different. Plus it is driving an easier speaker (although they both are 4 ohms rated)."

Hi Saf,
The quote is from your Post #44 in the Maya thread, and clearly describes your setup and situation.
Have you given thought to possibly rearranging things a bit and giving the HOT amp in the middle of the rack a bit more space for ventilation?
No matter what, more ventilation never hurts.

Felipe,

Steve has a point. Here's a simple test:

Leaving the two amps in the same spot, swap over the speakers, so that the hard working amp is at the top with no shelf above.

It should run much cooler then, whilst the lower amp will still be hot with the 'easier' speakers.

I suspect it's just a ventilation/convection issue.

I can certainly agree that all your five modules are all identical!

Thanks for your careful thoughts..... are you as happy now with the sound quality as three months back? Do you still have your Father over listening during your evenings? I wish I'd had a Father who loved music, my Pa was tone deaf, absolutely hated violins - yet his Mother was an accomplished pianist. The music gene is strange....

Hugh

Saf,
I finally got smart and looked at all the nice photos of your amp cases on your thread. It's easy to see what's going on here.

The heatsinks are internally mounted much as Hugh does in his Maya case, as shown in post #18. However Hugh's case has a large opening directly under the heatsinks and a row of vents directly over the heatsinks on the top.
Your case has a row of small vents across the back of the top of the lid, and I don't see any other vents anywhere.

You seem to have access to good metalworking. Thus it shouldn't be overly difficult to have a row of largish vents cut into the case lid directly over the heatsinks. That should cure your heat issues.

At the very least have this done for the amp you use with the SF Mini monitors. The heat buildup inside that particular amp case does not do anything any good,

Steve

Thank you Bigun!!
I will even put in a picture........ both waiting for their turn at the Civil Registry at Manhattan at 2:30 on Friday last.
She married a Yankee, a lovely guy we really like, and I hope they make each other very happy!! His Mother, Denise, is very welcoming and adores Alessandra, wonderful to have another doting Mom on her chosen continent!
Pity I couldn't be there, but Sri was there, my brother, and my eldest daughter, Soraya.
Needless to say both my daughters enjoy SAKSA amplification in their homes....

Cheers,

Hugh

Attachments

• AlessWedding2.jpg
    AlessWedding2.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Congratulations Hugh and may God richly bless the newly married couple.

Thank you Bigun!!
I will even put in a picture........ both waiting for their turn at the Civil Registry at Manhattan at 2:30 on Friday last.
She married a Yankee, a lovely guy we really like, and I hope they make each other very happy!! His Mother, Denise, is very welcoming and adores Alessandra, wonderful to have another doting Mom on her chosen continent!
Pity I couldn't be there, but Sri was there, my brother, and my eldest daughter, Soraya.
Needless to say both my daughters enjoy SAKSA amplification in their homes....

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.