Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 14th April 2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Fitero is offline Fitero  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default My Maya 200

I had wanted to buy one of Hugh's amplifiers for a number of years, and a few months ago decided to take the plunge.
At that time I had a Classé CA-2300 which I sold off to put this one together.
The Classé was the best solid state amplifier that I have ever had or heard. It bothered me that it was made in China though, and that I would have to put it on a pallet and send it to a service centre to have the voltage changed over in the event of a move overseas.

Dealing with Hugh was a joy and he generously helped me through any of the difficulties that I had.
I ordered the transformers from SumR in Canada and the case from a vendor in China. Yeah, I know, selective repudiation right? I'm ok with some of the parts being made in China, but not all of them.

Anyway, getting the case was a nightmare as it arrived defective even though it was perfectly packed. I was given pre-production, reject faceplates, not once, but twice after I complained and received a replacement! In the end I repaired one of the defective faceplates, re-anodized it and moved on. The case itself is a perfect size for the Maya 200 modules! I wanted a small case with excellent cooling. After a whole day playing music the case and heatsinks are just warm.

So, do I miss the Classé? Not one bit. Really. This amp is musical and has grunt! Now that it is together I will bring it into my old employer's shop and compare it to the Mcintosh, Classé, Hegel and Mark Levinson amps that they have. I am betting that the guys there are going to be in for a surprise.
This is a great amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maya 002.JPG (804.1 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg Maya 001.JPG (938.4 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg Maya 003.jpg (496.3 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg Maya 004.jpg (416.8 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1275.jpg (622.9 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1251.jpg (866.0 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1481.jpg (943.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1232.jpg (646.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Maya 006.jpg (383.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.jpg (397.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 15th April 2017, 12:13 AM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Fitero,

A beautiful build!! Very nicely done with classey (?) metalwork and careful, detailed fitting. I offer your congratulations, and thank you very much for your positive comments about the purchase and the sonics of the amp. You took a risk with Aspen; I'm very pleased for you (and me!) that it come off so well.

Lovely work.......

Hugh
Old 15th April 2017, 02:15 AM   #3
blakkshepeaudio is offline blakkshepeaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hugh, I may be missing something but I can't find any info about your newer amp models on the website.

blakkshepe
Old 15th April 2017, 06:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nothing there, BSA, I have not put it on because to be honest I'm supplying enough demand!! I know, I know, my website is not good, but when I find a good 16 year old with web skills I will change it!

I do have some photos, however, attached of the modules! I sell the modules mostly, but build the entire amp (my preference for full warranty) though a delay is involved. If you live in Victoria and visit Melbourne from time to time, let me know and I will organised an audition.

Thanks for your interest!

Hugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M200prod-4.jpg (311.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Maya200JR-8.jpg (509.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg MayaBox3.jpg (565.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Maya200JR-1.jpg (370.7 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by AKSA; 15th April 2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 15th April 2017, 08:35 AM   #5
blakkshepeaudio is offline blakkshepeaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

That's a great problem to have - too busy sellin' 'em !

Would love to audition the SAKSA85 which would be appropriate for the active monitors I am planning for the studio.
God knows how I could ever afford four A-grade stereo amps but a guy needs to dream, right?

Cheers !
blakkshepeaudio
Old 15th April 2017, 08:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Dreaming is mandatory - it builds ambition!

Thank you again for your interest. SAKSA audition amp here any time.....

Hugh
Old 19th April 2017, 02:23 PM   #7
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Wow Fitero !! Congrats !! I really love what you did , it is indeed very similar to mine!
The BIG difference being...yours HAVE the Mayas in it....mine are just empty boxes

Was that a re-anodization of a "Mark Levinson" clone made in china ?
The end result is very nice....i like it ! Specially the clever side mount of the trannies, it looks like a professional job.

And Hugh deserves some good looking fascias for his amps...he truly does.
All the best,
Filipe
Old 20th April 2017, 10:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the kind comments Hugh and Filipe.

Yes, the case is a nice Chinese made unit labeled with the Mark Levinson logo. I hate the fake logo but like the enclosure. I spent an hour or so sanding the etched logo and words off the front. I then had my buddy machine a recess for Hugh's logo, then soda blasted the whole thing to prep it for anodizing. The anodizing cost $30.

I too like how all of the AC is kept in the centre between the aluminum . I mounted the transformers with big nylon bolts and trigger a 25A relay to power on the amp with that big 20A switch in the front.

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."
Old 24th April 2017, 05:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

And for the curious; the binding posts and rca jacks were sourced through Amazon and are the currently favored, low mass, tellrium copper affairs that work very well.

Apparently the Taiwanese company is the OEM manufacturer for many companies.

This is the company: aeco.tw
Old 24th April 2017, 11:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Pierre, this is very useful information......!

Hugh

My Maya 200Hide this!Advertise here!