• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Maya Power Amplifier - Signature Edition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This has been long wished ... but the shell is finally ready :cheers:

I present the Signature Edition Maya...

33714746621_4287bef62b_h.jpg

33714740701_426e306cd8_h.jpg

33714752681_b1f61bfae3_h.jpg

33714766611_a5a88b564d_h.jpg

Hugh... how are those modules going ? I have 3 of these ready to PLAY!
All the best,
Filipe

Hi Felipe,

WOW! These look terrific!! And the logo (and you can add the badge when the modules are ready for despatch) can be attached at the center front as well!

You embarrass me with the signature stuff........ groan.......

Very nice, neat job, those Italian cases are very nice. However, the cooling of the output does not look that good; can you put in some more ventilation slots top and bottom?

Thank you for the view of your next amplifier..... this is a beautiful case. Not there with the next modules, but I will have them in a couple of weeks.

Ciao,

Hugh

Congratulations. excellent cabinet ... beautiful handle ... i love the signature of hugh r Dean (laser engraved ). it can compete with any high end brands . such professional cabinet . i am ashamed that i could not do such beautiful cabinet.

Regards

Congratulations. excellent cabinet ... beautiful handle ... i love the signature of hugh r Dean (laser engraved ). it can compete with any high end brands . such professional cabinet . i am ashamed that i could not do such beautiful cabinet.

Regards

Hi Suresh,
Thanks for the kind compliments. I must say that i can not take all the credit, as this is a build to order cabinet. All i did was came up with the design, draw the autocad detailed file and assemble the pieces!
I had some software merit with the profiling, design and Hugh's signature...but the hardware was all done in Italy.
Your cabinet was built by you and has a lot more "weight" into it. I also like the plexiglass seethrough.
My first cabinet (built entirely by me) was made of wood, for one of first Hugh's amps : the AKSA 100. This was 10 years ago and it still kicks ***.
The wood makes it look vintage and classic. I like it more now , than when i built it :) !

This time, i decided to take a different approach.
Professional finish for a Premium (Signature !!) design.

Hi Felipe,

WOW! These look terrific!! And the logo (and you can add the badge when the modules are ready for despatch) can be attached at the center front as well!

Very nice, neat job, those Italian cases are very nice. However, the cooling of the output does not look that good; can you put in some more ventilation slots top and bottom?

Thank you for the view of your next amplifier..... this is a beautiful case. Not there with the next modules, but I will have them in a couple of weeks.

Ciao,

Hugh

Hugh,

Thank you for your words. I am glad you like it, this was meant to be some kind of tribute so.....

I too am thinking of ventilation. The TOP cover was suposed to be all perforated but somehow i mixed the drawings and ended up forgetting to ask to drill extra holes in it.

Do you think this is essential ? I am afraid i cannot drill with the expertise needed to maintain the top finish...so my alternative is to order 3 new TOP covers from the manufacturer again. I think i will do it.
Bottom is harder, as i need to know where to drill. The transformers and modules will need their space. Its easier to drill after installing these.

Felipe,

I would not try to do it yourself. You need to take the top cover and bottom base to a sheet metal guy who has the dies to stamp some 'windows' for ventilation. He would have a large press too of course; all stuff you would not have laying around home!

I am picking up a couple of the next Maya batch tomorrow, and will test it carefully, then take another 30 for the second tranche. I'm absolutely over the moon about this; a wonderful amp, and getting better each batch!

Ciao,

Hugh

Hi Phil,

Send me a PM. I have had short supply on these modules and tomorrow take delivery of a new batch. Yes, not on the website. I'm continuously busy with amp manufacture these days and try to restrict my work routine as I'm a an old codger and like to visit good friends over coffee to natter about the world........

Thank you for your interest in Aspen. I have spent half a lifetime on amps, my core interest, and finally I'm starting to get somewhere!

Hugh

It should have come from you, Hugh. It looks very beautiful and especially the signature. I think it would be good if you create a "visual branding" (like Audio Research for example) of your amp instead just a logo. People then expected to relate the "branding" with something, such as that the product will ensure listening enjoyment.

Many people seems to be very satisfied listening to your amps. I just checked one of your amp spice file and indeed it qualifies as an amp to keep. May be your other amps are like that too.

Ah...the Ides of March !! Beat them ! :eek:

After some months of beer drinkin :drink: and some forced diet between glasses ( never start brewing at home...this sh** puts on weight like there is no tomorrow) i finally have my sweet litle amps...

My package arrived very snuggly arranged with all 5 channels of Maya Power goodness within. When opening the box i was like a kid on Xmas and both my youngsters were thrilled with the contents..even not having the nearest clue on what were those heavy bad *** looking things...

So fast forward, i did not sleep for 2 nights in a row...yes did i say that i was like a kid on xmas ? I have now assembled 2 boxes. Only one to go.
Of course i did connect them and i am listening as i write..........

Here they are, the litle buggers . All assembled with the new top cover with extra fins to ventilate :

34752565071_520a13fc5f_c.jpg

34073756713_e2bc04fa80_c.jpg

34063005033_e5fb86bfb0_c.jpg

I love the way the green LED shines through a 1mm hole...

The internal "arrangement" still needs some care.
The heatsinks were SUCH a tight fit (350mm long in a 350mm case) that i had to route the wires over the top of them. Not my initial plan, but my bad i miss calculated on that. :scratch:

The RCA wires still need to be soldered properly and finished with heatshrink. Nevertheless it plays.

Oh...did i say IT PLAYS ??
YES IT DOES !!

I could start describing the sound now...but i only have about 2h listening...and the beast is still running in. So i will reserve comments for now. Lets just say : CONGRATULATIONS HUGH...YOU DA MAN !

This is the MOST musical amp i ever listened to...and i only started listening now....

Quick question for Hugh
Forgot to ask about quiescent current.
2 modules measured 40mv so I let them be.
The 3rd module measured 27mv so I increased to 44mv.
Maybe because this one is connected to much less demanding speaker and does not get so hot?
Cheers
Filipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.