Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 14th February 2018, 05:45 AM   #11
meanman1964 is offline meanman1964  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I've the same TLP and I use the 6ES8 tubes .
Sounds more relaxed than the ECC189 tube .
Old 14th February 2018, 06:16 AM   #12
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman1964 View Post
I've the same TLP and I use the 6ES8 tubes.
Sounds more relaxed than the ECC189 tube.
Thanks, mm.

I'm very much a tube noob - so I have a few Qs for you:
1. '6ES8' is a tube type, right - as is 'ECC189'?
2. And Hugh supplies ECC189 but you changed to 6ES8?
3. Are there any particularly good-sounding makes of 6ES8?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 14th February 2018, 10:30 AM   #13
meanman1964 is offline meanman1964  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The 6ES8 is a very old type and hard to find . I bought mine(Plilips) from Wim Rotten .The sound is slightly warmer presentated then the EEC189 tube .Could be personal taste .
Old 18th February 2018, 05:03 AM   #14
Hanze Khronye is offline Hanze Khronye  Australia
diyAudio Member

6ES8 is a variable mu tube.

As a cathode follower this is not usually a problem. ECC189 has the same specifications.

Its a bit like the cathode follower of choice for those who cannot justify the cost of 6922 or 5687.

Makes perfect sense IMO, and also IME having had such with a pre stage to Hugh's AKSA.
Old 18th February 2018, 08:32 AM   #15
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

HK,

I thought you died in South Africa in an air crash? Good to see you are here!
A variable mu tube makes a nice cathode follower and slightly increases the H2 and H3, what I was wanting in my preamp. The 6922 and 5687 are 30% and 100% more plate current, not needed here. And the 5687 runs very hot, with a 900mA 6.3Vac filament compared to 365mA of the 6922 and 6ES8. Very hot tube pins create oxidisation and reduce tube life, try a 6C33 for this issue......

HD
Old 19th February 2018, 11:19 PM   #16
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
I am curious to learn your impressions.
Further to my previous post regarding how I thought my new setup sounded - which:
* uses a 96kHz A2D to digitise my phono stage
* removes my GK-2
* feeds the digitised phono signal into the digital input of my miniDSP 10x10HD (whereas the GK-2 fed the analogue inputs)
* has a 'RelaiXed' 8-channel volume control after the miniDSP, with TLPs on the mids and ribbons

. . . I'm happy to report that yesterday's listening panel (including Hugh) unanimously thought the new setup delivered better sound than before. So it would seem that having the tubes at the end of the sound chain, after the miniDSP (instead of before), allows the full beauty of the tubes to shine through.

So I'm delighted with my purchase of 2 of Hugh's TLPs!

Andy
Old 20th February 2018, 02:15 AM   #17
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Andy,

Thank you for a great afternoon listening session. I was very impressed with your beautifully built amps, preamps, MiniDSP, and enhanced Maggies. Your system is remarkable and incredibly resolving without listener fatigue. Difficult to do, even with A to D off your lovely turntable!

Any Melbournites - Andy's system is arguably one of the best I have ever heard and I strongly commend it to you. Contact him; he's very gracious and will give you a good listening. He is in Richmond.

Thanks again, Andy!

Hugh

The AKSA ' 'TLP' - a great solution to a digital issue!  :-))Hide this!Advertise here!