The AKSA ' 'TLP' - a great solution to a digital issue! :-)) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 7th November 2016, 10:19 AM   #1
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default The AKSA ' 'TLP' - a great solution to a digital issue! :-))

The 'TLP' is a tube buffer which Hugh produced before he developed his GK-1 preamp ... which then led on to the GK-2, which I have. So it's a product from long ago ... which languished, after the GK-1 came out.

Now, I have just dipped my toe into the digital waters ... replacing the 3-way analogue active XOs I've been using with my Maggies for 15 years with a miniDSP unit (10x10Hd). I did this because I added a pair of subs to my Maggies, so:
1. I needed a 4-way XO, and
2. I needed to use DSP to delay my Maggies, to line up with the subs which are about 1.3m further away from my ears.

As a result, I have just bought 2x TLP kits!

Now, my system currently is: sources --> GK-2 --> miniDSP --> power amps.

The beauty of the GK-2 is that it has 2 outputs:
1. the ss (sub) output. (This bypasses the unity-gain tube output stage of the GK-1/GK-2.)
2. the tube output.

If you are running active speakers, it is a well-known fact that you should feed your woofers from the 'sub out' and your tweeters (& mids) from the 'tube out'. The reason is:
* ss out gives better definition of the leading edge of bass transients (than the tube does), and
* tube output gives a more entrancing delivery of mids & HFs than the sub out does.

So currently:
* my sub out feeds subs + bass panels, and
* my tube out feeds mid panels + ribbons.

This is fine ... but as the next component in the signal chain is my miniDSP unit, it is possible I don't hear the full beauty of the 'tube out' coming from the speakers that I did when I had analogue active XOs?

So I am going to re-arrange my component chain and remove the GK-2. This is not a simple exercise as I need to have:
* source selection, and
* volume control.

My component chain now becomes:
* phono stage ---> ADC
* 4x digital sources (phono ADC / CDP / DAB+ tuner / Foxtel box) to digital source selector (Audio Authority 1177A-1)
* output from 1177A-1 ---> miniDSP (digital input)
* 8x RCA outputs from the miniDSP 10x10HD ---> an 8-channel volume control (DIY "Relaixed", out of Holland)
* 8-channel output from the Relaixed volume control --->
-- 4 channels of TLP, for mids & ribbons ---> power amps
-- 4 channels direct, for subs & bass panels ---> power amps.

So, this way, I should really be able to hear the 'tubeyness' of the TLP, as it is directly feeding the mid & ribbon power amps ... in contrast to my current situation where, really, I am "listening to the sound of" the miniDSP output DACs (which cannot be very good, given the price of the miniDSP!).

I will report back when it's all come together!

Andy
Old 20th November 2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Fitero is offline Fitero  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am curious to learn your impressions.
Old 20th November 2016, 08:09 PM   #3
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
I am curious to learn your impressions.
Sorry, Fitero ... "listening impressions" won't happen for about 6 months!

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!