AKSA 'Paris' phono pre-amp (aka head amp) available fully made up - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 5th September 2016, 11:56 PM   #1
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default AKSA 'Paris' phono pre-amp (aka head amp) available fully made up

Hugh developed the 'Paris' head amp in the early 2000s and I bought one of the first ones, to replace a SUT. I've always thought it was a great product (if you have a LOMC with a MM phono stage) as it is extremely quiet and performs like the proverbial "piece of wire with gain" ... IOW, with no sonic degradation that I can hear.

In recent years, with Hugh focussing exclusively on his power amps, the Paris has languished, somewhat, as:
* it was sold as a fully stuffed PCB ... rather than a complete, working product, and
* Hugh didn't want the chore of soldering the components onto the PCB.

I don't use my Paris these days as I have an MC phono stage and I recently lent it to someone, so he could hear the result of using a more appropriate res-loading for his Benz LP, by using it into the MM input of his tube phono stage - via the Paris - rather than into the LOMC input. (So he could try 3,300 ohms instead of the 470 ohms which results from putting a 10:1 SUT in front of a 47K-loaded MM phono stage, to make it LOMC-compatible.) The Paris can be built with a default R-load of 47K ... but by providing a parallel pair of input RCAs, R-loaded plugs can be inserted to reduce the R-load seen by the cartridge to whatever sounds best to your ears.

Anyway, the guy was so delighted with the sound of his Benz LP at higher R-loadings that he decided he wanted a Paris! So I arranged with Hugh to buy some sets of Paris PCBs & components, so I can provide a fully-built unit, complete with case, 12v SLA, charger and RCA sockets.

So if anyone is in need of a fully made-up Paris, please get in touch.

Andy
Old 27th September 2016, 07:08 AM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am thrilled with this development from Andy. He has more energy and drive than I have; I have made the decision to concentrate on my power amps, which are, after all, my core business........ that said, this headamp delivered extraordinary performance; a German guy measured the S/N ratio at -142dB, best he'd ever measured, and I was very happy to read about this! The design is single ended AND quiet, so it's ideal for a phono as it is very musical, flexible with any phono cartridge, supernaturally quiet, and very easy to put together.

Thanks Andy, hats off to your motivation and drive!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 27th September 2016, 07:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I finished the build last weekend and took some pics, which I thought people might be interested in.

BTW, the output coupling caps that you can see in the 3rd pic are not wrapped up because I wanted to keep the brand secret - simply because these AmpOhms have a metal case, which I didn't want touching the case (or each other).

The 2nd pair of input RCAs on the L of the back of the case (pic #2) is for R-loaded' plugs, to get the optimal cart loading (the default load on the Paris PCB is 47K).

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paris Build 4.jpg (391.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Paris Build 5.jpg (365.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Paris Build 6.jpg (523.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 29th December 2016, 09:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

how do they sound andy?
Old 29th December 2016, 09:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

how much Andy?

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Hugh developed the 'Paris' head amp in the early 2000s and I bought one of the first ones, to replace a SUT. I've always thought it was a great product (if you have a LOMC with a MM phono stage) as it is extremely quiet and performs like the proverbial "piece of wire with gain" ... IOW, with no sonic degradation that I can hear.

In recent years, with Hugh focussing exclusively on his power amps, the Paris has languished, somewhat, as:
* it was sold as a fully stuffed PCB ... rather than a complete, working product, and
* Hugh didn't want the chore of soldering the components onto the PCB.

I don't use my Paris these days as I have an MC phono stage and I recently lent it to someone, so he could hear the result of using a more appropriate res-loading for his Benz LP, by using it into the MM input of his tube phono stage - via the Paris - rather than into the LOMC input. (So he could try 3,300 ohms instead of the 470 ohms which results from putting a 10:1 SUT in front of a 47K-loaded MM phono stage, to make it LOMC-compatible.) The Paris can be built with a default R-load of 47K ... but by providing a parallel pair of input RCAs, R-loaded plugs can be inserted to reduce the R-load seen by the cartridge to whatever sounds best to your ears.

Anyway, the guy was so delighted with the sound of his Benz LP at higher R-loadings that he decided he wanted a Paris! So I arranged with Hugh to buy some sets of Paris PCBs & components, so I can provide a fully-built unit, complete with case, 12v SLA, charger and RCA sockets.

So if anyone is in need of a fully made-up Paris, please get in touch.

Andy
Old 29th December 2016, 11:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffyboy View Post
how do they sound andy?

how much Andy?

Tim
Hi Tim,

All I can say about the Paris sound is ... you can't hear any sonic artefacts. As Hugh posted, being SLA powered it is extremely quiet - it simply amplifies the LOMC signal (and allows you to have the correct 'R' loading).

Re. cost - I will shortly send you a PM, as there are several options.

Andy
Old 7th February 2017, 01:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

2nd re-born Paris now in operation, being used with a Hagerman 'Cornet 3' MM phono stage.

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!