Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 15th August 2016, 11:48 PM   #41
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

No, AS, the SAKSA is the entry product; the larger powers are allocated to the Maya, which I expect to sell fully built.
You can use slightly higher power on the rails of the SAKSA to bring it up to 100W, but this will be the maximum. Certainly the output stage is very robust!
The issue I find is that when I try to assess what the market wants, then design and build the product, there are a few customers who want something more, and/or do not wish to spend the extra money. I can understand this of course, but I have to make decisions, and I cannot make everyone happy! The usual conundrum for a maker..... and often I get special orders, which involve a lot of my time and of course the reason in most cases is to save money for the customer. Result: I spend a lot of time customising a one-off to make the product the customer wants, and I lose. It's very difficult!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 10th September 2016, 03:21 AM   #42
probbo is offline probbo
diyAudio Member

Hi Lyn

Spotted your comments re buzzing transformers, whilst re-reading all the posts about the SAKSA 80. Many years ago, I built an Elektor Crescendo MOSFET amp, using 2 x 625va toroids, bought from Electrovalue in the UK. One toroid was made by ILP, the other by a company in Ireland (can't recall the brand). The Irish trannie buzzed noticeably....which I eventually fixed (>95% of it, anyway) by building a DC-blocking circuit (on one of Pers Anders PCBs), and installing it in its own box, between the powerboard and amp's power plug. Rod Elliott published a similar circuit on the ESP website, but does not offer a PCB.

Regards, Peter R
Old 10th September 2016, 08:50 PM   #43
acidbrain is offline acidbrain  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Brand New Super AKSA - the SAKSA 85!
ILP is now called Amplimo.
Old 11th September 2016, 03:06 AM   #44
probbo is offline probbo
diyAudio Member

Hi Lyn

I forgot: 'Pers Anders' is actially Per Anders Sjostrom of Sjostrom Audio...based in Sweden, I think

Peter R
Old 11th September 2016, 07:06 AM   #45
LPM is offline LPM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter
Thanks for the suggestion. Fortunately, it's very mild, not always there (seemingly) and not really noticeable unless I listen hard for it. I probably should concentrate on the music instead!
Old 27th September 2016, 03:00 PM   #46
Music Lover is offline Music Lover  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

be interested in the MOSFET you are using in this amp. Also, are you ever going to build a higher powered version, such as 500W plus?
Old 27th September 2016, 03:36 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Hi ML,
For the SAKSA I use 280W mosfets and for the Maya I use a complementary pair rated to 480W.

As long as they are correctly driven and stabilised they arereliable and viable devices for audio.

I do a version of the Maya up to 280W but no plans to do a 500W. These amps need huge power supplies and massive thermal reserves increasing cost to the point so few are sold that the economics are unviable. Most audiophiles who need these amps normally buy Class D proaudio designs.

HD
Old 27th September 2016, 09:24 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Hugh,

Are they lateral Mosfets like the Execon devices with a negative temp coefficient?

Last edited by Music Lover; 27th September 2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 28th September 2016, 03:36 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

No, ML, they are hexfets. Laterals have very low transconductance, but easy to compensate. The hexfets are very difficult to compensate; I have finally figured out how to do this accurately. Laterals are very expensive too, and limited in power too. They need a lot of negative feedback to drive a low impedance speaker.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 28th September 2016, 09:58 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

Looking at your initial post with the attached pictures, correct me if I'm wrong and ignore my ignorance but is that a single PCB with 2 channel with separate psu on board so all we need to do is find a case and transformer? Basically I gather that's $k just for parts alone so it comes non populated.

Will you be able to sample a live one in Melbourne?

Peter

Brand New Super AKSA - the SAKSA 85!Hide this!Advertise here!