• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Maya200

Absolutely right, Jens, and thank you for bringing this up.......
The amp is designed for 65V rails, and while we can go to 58V rails (40ac toroids) we cannot go lower without:
1. Revision and rebuild of the protection system;
2. Revision of the driver circuits to give adequate drive to the outputs when operating with higher current surges, and
3. Revision of the feedback system to ensure compensation is spot on for the different operating points.

All this requires a lot of time and iteration and I'm getting tired and slow.......
I have a spectacular amp of high power and 65V rails. It will drive down to low impedances as it is, and I know it is utterly reliable. This has taken a couple of years to get just right.... and I'm loathe to change it now, particularly as I have the modules assembled in a high quality factory - in Australia, too!

Ciao,

Hugh

Thanks for chipping in, Hugh!

The thought behind my initial idea of course was not to use higher power than necessary for the very efficient drivers I have, at the same time retaining the superb Maya sound :)

I have used a number of different amplifiers over the last 40 years (the majority being amps from Hugh's hand). Some amps can be used with a wide supply voltage range, and some can't, it all depends on the construction.
If in doubt, I have always asked the manufacturer and consequently never have had an amp fail due to incorrect implementation ;)

The Mayas are eagerly awaited here - and they will be implemented using the acceptable voltage, as recommended by master Hugh!

Cheers,

Jens

Mayas shipped

Today, UPS picked up the parcel with my Mayas from Hugh's place, and they are now on their way to Copenhagen :)

Australia Post was de-selected, as there seems to be problems getting overseas parcels through with them (wonder if they are storing them in the outback somewhere) ...

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a safe transport - you never know in these times.

And I can hardly wait!

Many thanks to Hugh for getting the UPS setup done - and for the magnificent packaging of the amps (Hugh sent photos) :up:

Cheers,
Jens

Jens,

Look forward to pics and listening impressions once the amplifiers reach you. And hope that is really soon! :)
Thank you! Parcel tracking shows that the Mayas have already left Oz - so far so good!

The four Mayas are going be used in my active, quatro-amped speakers (see photo), replacing some other amps. The Mayas will power tweeters and midranges, and I think it will be like the song of angels ;)

The speakers are called 'The Equilibrium Project' and feature digital x-overs/DSP.
Baffles are 20 mm aluminum, and the speakers weigh in at around 125 kgs each, standing about 1,9 metres tall.
All amplifiers are mounted on the rear (behind the grilles) - I have to try and remember to take some photos of the replacement process showing this :)

Cheers,

Jens

Attachments

• Equilibrium2020.jpg
    Equilibrium2020.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 247
Maybe i shall tell a little about my setup,

Dac--JLsounds AK4493 with clock module and usb board--output from Dac -bisesik trafo

Pre--tube 4P1L with separate supply cabinet----hard to get a better preamp

Amp--just now Maya--- will be compared to my Gryphon Encore and Aksa Lifeforce

Speaker---Troels G The Loudspeaker --

The-Loudspeaker

now it is time to let the Maya play,,and then tell more about the very special sound from Maya

Best Bjarne

I will now try to give my experience with Maya amp

overall it is a very special amp,,it is easy to hear that it have take many hours of

serious listening ,it is a music machine..with big sound-dynamic -and lots of detail

Lets take the only thing,where my Gryphon amp is a little better,,the bass area,the big

super dynamic bang ,can the Maya not do,,but the nuance in the Maya is just as good

it is not on every record the difference is audible,,, on most record the Maya is very

deep ,and with great bass dynamic (better than other amp i have own in the past)

Going on to the middle area,,the first thing to notice is the voices,,just easy to say ,i

have newer heard it better,,warm and easy to hear what they sing

The attack on little drums is just there,with bang ,and a natural sound

The top area,,not much to say ,i can hear all detail very clear,,Female voices just right

without being sharp in the top

My passion is Music dvd,,,and Maya can really give the feeling of being there,,you can

hear echo from walls and audience smalltalk ,,lots of detail

take this record,,Eric Clapton live Hyde park Maya gives a big true ,really dynamic

sound ,and this is with very high sound pressure,,and i mean very high,,no problem for

Maya

I heard a record with Pat Metheny,,,the guitar sound,like it coming from a top class tube

amp,,very special, and this give me so much pleasure to listen

at last for now ,i will conclude that the Maya is one of the best amp out there,,and i will

really like to hear an amp that can beat the Maya in all area,,certainly not in the price

the Maybe are,,many amps sound so clear and with lots of detail,,but they missing the

warm ,ear friendly sound like the Maya

will the Maya be a amp for any one ,,not necessary,,,i know people who want to hear

super detail,,overly clear , ,and will have speaker with the

same light sounding ,,for them the Maya will maybe not be the first choice,,

to my speaker ,Maya is a perfect marriage ,it can get the 18" to give punch and mucical

sound,,and let my horn show that they can play better than any dome tweeter,,without

any hard sound

hope you can understand what i write ,,English is a little hard for me ,to express my feeling for the Maya

Congratulations Hugh,,,it is a great amp you come up with

WOW Bjarne!!
I could not expect a better review, and you are absolutely accurate in all your comments.
I appreciate the lifelong love for music you have (you and I LOVE Pat Metheny!) and it was for you - and music lovers - that I spent two decades trying to achieve this quality.
It has been a wonderful journey, but best is to hear the appreciation of my customers.
Thank you from my heart,

FIKA!!

Hugh

Last edited:
Hugh .I remember i said to you (for many years ago )that i need more than 100w for my speaker,,and now it comes with the Maya

if i have had the same speaker i use today ,,i could, in all these years ,have lived happily

with the Lifeforce,,it is still a great amp,,,but the Maya is in another league

FIKA--- lad os drikke en kop kaffe sammen

Best Regards Bjarne

The four Mayas are going be used in my active, quatro-amped speakers (see photo), replacing some other amps. The Mayas will power tweeters and midranges, and I think it will be like the song of angels ;)

The speakers are called 'The Equilibrium Project' and feature digital x-overs/DSP.

Hi Jens - what are you using for your digital XOs (and, presumably, room EQ)?

I also use 8 amplifier channels with a 'DSP heart' and, if you are using miniDSP, you might be interested in the change I have just made to my system. :)

I was using a 10x10HD - with the 2x8 Plug-in software. So 1x digital feed in ... and 8 analogue channels out.

I have just changed to:
* a nanoDIGI 2x8 - so 1x digital feed in ... and 4x digital feeds out
* plus 4 of the new Topping E30 DACs, to give me my 8x analogue channels out.

IOW, I am now using higher quality DAC chips than are used by miniDSP.

The difference is significant! As much as an amp improvement! :D

Andy