Aksa 55 still going strong - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 6th May 2014, 01:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Aksa 55 still going strong

Hi,
It's been a long time since I perused this forum and I was sad to hear about Hugh's illness, but I was also happy to hear that things are now looking better.

I built my Aksa 55 way back in 2003, since then it's performed flawlessly! Back in 2010 I finally got around to giving it a decent case to live in and I've attached a couple of pics here.

Over the years I occasionally look in the direction of other amps but have concentrated on getting the source components sort out. The Aksa is fed from a Squeezebox 3 through a WM8741 based DAC built from Twisted Pear kits (very nice they are too) with an Arduino based controller.

I was disappointed to see some users moaning about the price of Hugh's later amp modules and the lack of kits. Whilst I enjoyed building mine, and it's been perfect ever since, mistakes were made during the build that required Hugh's support. I can understand that sooner or later he decided to give up on the kits. As for price, well, there are many DIY options out there.

The new NAKSA 80 looks very nice and it seems like it would fit into the Aksa case. if only I had a spare 600 lying around ;-) Sometime in the not too distant future I hope! In the meantime I'll concentrate on getting my DAC finished.

Regards,
Simeon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_n55hj13Lmg1sz6jt9o1_1280.jpg (241.2 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_n55hj13Lmg1sz6jt9o2_1280.jpg (124.9 KB, 383 views)
Old 6th May 2014, 05:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A good amp calls for a nice case,well done!!
Old 7th May 2014, 02:44 AM   #3
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Simeon,

Very nice of you to post, and very glad the AKSA 55 is still going after 11 years!

I appreciate the comments about cost. Actually, the guys that criticise my products are generally selling themselves, and certainly haven't heard the products.

My illness was pretty bad, but I'm through it and astonishingly pretty good, docs called me 'Houdini', and (don't ask my family!) my mind is still OK.

Thanks again,

Hugh
Old 7th May 2014, 05:29 PM   #4
jln is offline jln  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah Simeon, I remember my AKSA with great fondness.
In the mean time I seem to have accumulated quite a stable of Aspen amps- Lifeforce, NAKSA 70, and as of a few days ago, a NAKSA 80. I love them all of course, but I have to say the new N80 is a real corker!
Cheers,
John
Old 7th May 2014, 06:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman1964 View Post
A good amp calls for a nice case,well done!!
Thanks!
Old 7th May 2014, 06:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Thanks Simeon,

Very nice of you to post, and very glad the AKSA 55 is still going after 11 years!

I appreciate the comments about cost. Actually, the guys that criticise my products are generally selling themselves, and certainly haven't heard the products.

My illness was pretty bad, but I'm through it and astonishingly pretty good, docs called me 'Houdini', and (don't ask my family!) my mind is still OK.

Thanks again,

Hugh
Ah, I didn't realise some were other vendors. That fact that your still coming up with, and selling, new designs kinda validates the business model!

Simeon
Old 9th May 2014, 02:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbloke View Post
Hi,
It's been a long time since I perused this forum and I was sad to hear about Hugh's illness, but I was also happy to hear that things are now looking better.

I built my Aksa 55 way back in 2003, since then it's performed flawlessly! Back in 2010 I finally got around to giving it a decent case to live in and I've attached a couple of pics here.

Regards,
Simeon
Beautiful built, very classy, congrats.

May I ask you where you bought your heatsink and the model no.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 9th May 2014, 08:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_fortier View Post
Beautiful built, very classy, congrats.

May I ask you where you bought your heatsink and the model no.

Thanks,
Eric
Hi,
That's the original heatsink supplied with the Aska kit, cut in half. The PSU is also cut in half so the two channels in that box are electically completely separate.

Simeon
Old 27th July 2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Did you notice any difference in sound since you have cased your Aksa amps ?

I have been building and tweaking amps for years but almost everytime when I put them from there experimantal setup in a metal enclosure its sounds worse then without any case. Since this happened quite a few times I quit using metal boxes, only full wood. No screening whatsoever but it sounds better this way, everytime up till now.

11 years is not that old for a power amp in my opinion, a good well executed design should easily hold up for 25+ years
Old 28th July 2014, 10:44 AM   #10
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Agree, Sjef. A well designed amp, that is, robustly engineered, should easily last 25 years and this is the big advantage over tube amps, which suffer ageing, with reducing emissions and gassing. Modern transistors are magnificent devices, with huge MTBFs. I have a 22 year old Toyota, for example, and the electronic ignition system has never failed in this time.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!