• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Long interconnects feeding LF100's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a new house that will include a dedicated media room. When completed, I would like to have my source components in a different room, but the speakers and amps in the media room. This will require using interconnects between my pre/pro that are about 40 feet long. My question is: is this plan feasible? Will the audio be degraded by using such long interconnects?

The pre/pro at the source end is Meridian G68, which has an output impedence of 47 ohms.

The interconnect I have in mind will by DIY, using Belden 89259 cable (Jon Risch recipe).

I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

-------
In case Hugh sees this:
Hi Hugh! This is Fred, in Houston Tx. Still lovin my 3 channels of LF100, after all these years. Hope all is well!

Hi Fred,

Great to hear from you - it's been a while, and it's good to hear you are building your new house!!

It is doable. However, you should ensure the the source has low impedance (DVD, CD or preamp), the coax should be LOW capacitance (less than 5pF per foot), and you should ensure the coax has good shielding. You don't have to use megabuck stuff, but I would use high quality microphone cable from a good maker, this stuff is very low noise and very low capacitance.

Ah, the only Lifeforce...... I am about to release a new NAKSA with more powerful than both the NAKSA 100 and the Lifeforce series - 125 watts into 8R, much more into 4R. I have compared it with the lifeforce, and the sound quality is markedly higher again.

Enjoy!

Hugh

Interconnects: "Microphone cable". It's two conductor inside a shield. Used 150 feet to reach my upstairs office and about 50 feet to the bedroom.

Speaker connects: Our electrician found this stuff, it's about 14 gauge, and he used 2 conductor and 4 conductor sort of randomly. The runs to the mains are about 50 feet, subs about 75 feet. The rest are all to in-ceiling speakers, and I doubt you'd hear any difference with them. Best I can say about the in-ceiling speakers is, "they're really not bad"...

Belden 3079A (originally recommended long ago by AndyR) is 22awg twisted pair with foamed polyethylene (dielectric VERY close to Teflon), the pair shielded with tinned copper braid and a 100% foil shield. From an audiophile perspective we have "tinned copper and foil" (in the shield, not the signal path) and "PVC jacket" (outside the shield, totally outside the electromagnetic problem space). We also have 22awg (a tad large) but what makes this wire work so well is it's capacitance = 8.5 pf/ft. Since my amps are tucked right behind the speakers, I run ~8 ft interconnects and have been very happy w the 3079A. From memory (I'm away from my system today) the cable diameter is ~8mm, so tight turns might be a problem.

Attachments

• Belden 3079A low-C shielded interconnect.pdf
    100.8 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.