• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New NAKSA now arrived!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
................ the phrase that comes to mind is ... "crap on them"?
Not my intention.
Can I suggest that if you wanted to impart some of your amazing knowledge, you would've explained that 2R0 is easier to drive than 2.0 ohm drivers.
I made the comparison here
An 8ohms capable amplifier should easily drive a 4r0 test load.
I could have repeated that sentence and just altered the values to say:
A 4ohms capable amplifier should easily drive a 2r0 test load.
But at the time I did not think I needed to say that.

Not my intention.
I made the comparison here
I could have repeated that sentence and just altered the values to say:
A 4ohms capable amplifier should easily drive a 2r0 test load.
But at the time I did not think I needed to say that.

Let me lay out what a helpful answer would've been, Andrew.

"An amplifier which can cope with conventional reactive speakers rated at 4R0 may have difficulty driving a 4.0ohm load."

That clearly tells me a purely resistive load is more troublesome than a reactive load.

And re. the statement you say you could've written (but didn't bother) - "A 4ohms capable amplifier should easily drive a 2R0 test load" - you haven't explained why this is so ... so I would have to ignore it.

Regards,

Andy

Andy

I think AndrewT is trying to say that you can drive a 4R0 resistor easier than driving a loudspeaker of 4 ohm.

I have an amp rated 140/170/220/290W for 8/6/4/2 ohm but speaker must be 4 ohm or higher.

Well, he might well be, rabbitz ... but I'm not sure. :) It seems to me that he has said a 4R0 speaker is easier for an amp to drive than a 4.0ohm speaker. This runs counter to my intuition, anyway, as I would've though the inductance would've caused issues in the same way that a load having a lot of capacitance (like an electrostatic) causes problems for many amplifiers (not AKSAs, though! :D ).

There aren't many speaker drivers that are almost purely resistive - most exhibit some inductance, which AIUI makes them better described as being reactive ... so a "4.0" ohm speaker is pretty rare!

Andy

I know Hugh has moved on with the Naksa 125 but I realize I never have showed a pic of the current state of my Naksa 80

Attachments

• DSC05476.jpg
    DSC05476.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC05478.jpg
    DSC05478.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 605
Well, he might well be, rabbitz ... but I'm not sure. :) It seems to me that he has said a 4R0 speaker is easier for an amp to drive than a 4.0ohm speaker. This runs counter to my intuition, anyway, as I would've though the inductance would've caused issues in the same way that a load having a lot of capacitance (like an electrostatic) causes problems for many amplifiers (not AKSAs, though! :D ).

There aren't many speaker drivers that are almost purely resistive - most exhibit some inductance, which AIUI makes them better described as being reactive ... so a "4.0" ohm speaker is pretty rare!

Andy
I think you are allowing "intuition" and inductance to confuse the issue.

Read esp's explanation of what a reactive load does to the output devices and drivers and predrivers if fitted.
A reactive load puts a lot more stress on the output stage than a resistive load.
To me 4r0 is a resistor value, it is a resistive load. It could be a dummy load for testing.
And to me 4ohm means something different. It implies (again for me) a reactive load. It is how we rate speaker impedance. They are rated in ohms.

However some speakers have essentially a resistive load. I'll repeat "I asked what type of load the 2ohm rated ribbons were".
That was because I KNOW that a resistive load puts a lot less stress on the output stage.
When the answer came back, I gave a number of scenarios depending on whether the amplifier is rated for 8ohms, or 6ohms, or 4ohms speaker.

Thank you for your welcome, I should explain my situation so that interest readers understand some of the delay.

I have some heart issues, not terminal, but a legacy of the one month coma and disruption of my system I went through. One of the biggest issues is depression, which is not evident at all in conversation with me, particularly in a café over coffee, but what destroys your motivation for anything.

I have managed to keep alive all my social connections and my passionate interest in audio. But driving the business, particularly building in the workshop, has been very difficult for me. I can sit at the PC schematic simulator, do most of the listening tests and doodle on café napkins, but my business process has taken a dive.

I'm convinced that with good friends like Jon, Steve, Paul, Graeme, Russ, Marty and Lyn I can get through this glitch and today I had some very good news on some wonderful good tests which buoys me up! Bring up the NAKSA 200!

Sadly today was 28C, two days it was back at 35C, I do not enjoy the heat........

Ciao,

Hugh

Hello Hugh

I have being through a depression and still a bit, and your right to keep alive all your social connections and your passions, do all you can to keep your business process running, it's better because your business is a big part of your life.

All my best thoughts for your health, your passion and your business.

Bye

Gaetan

Yes, things will soon be up and running again here at Aspen.
I've been running prototypes of high power versions of the Naksa's for some months now, with good success. I will be assisting in the workshop to get these new amps ready for business and the market. These are very good amps.

Hugh,
It is so good to hear from you and i know i say this on behalf of all well wishers especially your audio admirers here in Jamaica who consider you one of if not the greatest amplifier builders of all times..thanks for your contribution we wish you all the best!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.