• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New NAKSA now arrived!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was time to get the Diy-fever back again after 2 years of absence. Building my Naksa80:):D:p:cool::):D:p Stunning performance !!
I'm listening now for only 2 hours, so there's more to come after the burn-in.

-DuranDuran : First album
-Fleedwood Mac : Mirage
-Alphaville : Forever young

Good work Hugh !

Just to add my 2c ...

I bought 2x NAKSA 80s almost 2 years ago after reading Jens' opinion here that they are a significant step up from his Lifeforce 55s (which I also have - 4 modules driving my mids & ribbons).

For various reasons, it took a long time to start (over 12 months) - and then finish - the upgrade but this last weekend, I finally got it all working. Thanks Jens - it is indeed an upgrade! :)

Two points that immediately struck me, when I listened in stereo for the first time:
1. the N80 has greater resolution than the LF55, and
2. I am now getting more bass! :D This is something I may have to correct in the future (by adjusting the gains on each channel of my 3-way active XOs) - but I'm liking it, right now! :D This extra bass has come about because the N80s have 3dB less gain than the LF55 modules - so, as the Soraya modules running the bass drivers haven't changed, the tonal balance has shifted towards the low end.

Regards,

Andy

Just to add my 2c ...

I bought 2x NAKSA 80s almost 2 years ago after reading Jens' opinion here that they are a significant step up from his Lifeforce 55s (which I also have - 4 modules driving my mids & ribbons).

For various reasons, it took a long time to start (over 12 months) - and then finish - the upgrade but this last weekend, I finally got it all working. Thanks Jens - it is indeed an upgrade! :)

Two points that immediately struck me, when I listened in stereo for the first time:
1. the N80 has greater resolution than the LF55, and
2. I am now getting more bass! :D This is something I may have to correct in the future (by adjusting the gains on each channel of my 3-way active XOs) - but I'm liking it, right now! :D This extra bass has come about because the N80s have 3dB less gain than the LF55 modules - so, as the Soraya modules running the bass drivers haven't changed, the tonal balance has shifted towards the low end.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Great to hear that you are not disappointed :)

However, to have a fair comparison with what you had before, you may want to adjust the xovers to compensate for the -3dB output. Not only will you get more bass, but you will also get more treble, which in some situations will be perceived as more resolution. Obviously, since you're an old hand at this you may not get fooled by it, but it's still a good idea to try it out ;)

I've also had a LF55 - which I am still listening to now and then when I visit my friend who got it from me - and it is still doing a marvellous job.

However, the N80 is a different story, and I am sure that the more you listen the more you will agree. And it is not just the resolution, it is very much also what I tend to call "soundscape" -the sheer depth and general size of your listening window (where recordings allow, that is).

Enjoy :)

Cheers,

Jens

"soundscape" - the sheer depth and general size of your listening window

Hi Jens,

A excellent description in an area many objectivists criticise because there is no published measurement to back it up. I believe it is the combination of low noise and very low phase shift. Pushing the design envelope I have found that the next holy grail is the 'ambient environment'. This brings the entire tiny sounds of the entire recording event, delivering an almost perfect listening event that it is almost identical to the real, original performance. This is the next resolution level of the NAKSA, along with an intense quietude (high S/N level), and I believe I have reached it with the new Maya.

Merry Christmas and all the stuff!!

Ciao,

Hugh

NAKSA 80

Hey Everybody,

I've been listening to the NAKSA80 for the past few days and I wanted to share some thoughts.

I'm not an audio nut, I don't think anyways :), and I have a pretty modest system that I'm happy with: Lorien's USB->I2S->BUFFALO2 DAC/IVY -> NAKSA -> GALLO 3.1.

I've had a NAKSA70 for a couple of years and have enjoyed it's combination of tube / ss qualities. Thanks Hugh!

After re-visiting this thread after a few years, I was a bit dismayed / happy regarding Hugh's situation, but also that he's able to keep on keep'n on and new models are available. I promptly snatched up a NAKSA80.

I already had an idea of what to expect based on the thread, and this little box delivered and then some!

In layman's terms: More good stuff! Basically everything's better, but especially the delineation and bass! More clear, expansive, smooth, effortless, controlled. Yup!

Thank you so much Hugh! In the world of analog production and re-production, there will always be a need for subjective interpretation with regards to componentry and design, and you my friend are a straight-up Wizard, with a conscience :)

WOW, Yammy!! (The new FZ09 catches my eyes... and some years back I love the MT01!) Thank you for your lovely posts, much appreciated, a great Xmas pressie!
At 64 I am very lucky I have the passion for audio, sufficient health to continue with it, and the generosity of customers like you who articulate their feelings for the product. Thank you very much, hugely appreciated. Nico, thank you for your post; how is YOUR health and your business? I encourage you to visit to Australia to meet me and see the country; I cannot travel these days but I would like to see you in Melbourne!
I will continue to offer the NAKSA for some years, particularly the 80, which is a very compact, economical product. I'm about to release the new larger amp, the Maya 200 watter, which is much more expensive but a stunning addition to the lineup. It has a full on SS relay protecting the speaker, with slow turn on and quick turn off! This will be the flagship of the amp, and hopefully will carry the badge to high end audio in the years to come.

Ciao,

Hugh

Hi C666,

Thank you for your inquiry!
I do not have a Soraya in my home these days, I sold just about all the ones I built, but a good friend has one with his GK2 and Vandy speakers.
The Soraya was a very clean, almost surgical amp with no vices to speak of and no sibilance or fatigue issues. It really needed a tube preamp to give of its best.
The later amps, since the early NAKSA 70, were designed to avoid a preamp and deliver a very pleasing, almost tubey sound from digital sources.
The SAKSA builds on this, adding very strong bass and a very unstressed presentation, particularly at lower levels. It has very good detail - not quite as much as the Soraya - but you can listen to it for hours within needing to get up and walk away. It is very powerful since I doubled the power of the output stage, and it is very good for punchy music, such as rock and large orchestras.

BTW, the flagship of the marque is now the Maya, which starts at 180W and goes up to 250W. It is far superior to the 2007 Soraya; different completely throughout, including the 2x480W output mosfets, which frighten the ceiling in most listening rooms!

Cheers,

Hugh

Great to hear this news, Hugh. :D

As you know, I am delighted with the sound of my NAKSA 80s (slightly de-rated ... so DC rails are a bit lower than stock), which are driving my Maggie mid panels (3.2 ohms) and ribbons (2 ohms).

On the 4 ohm bass panels I still have my early Soraya modules so - thinking ahead to my next upgrade :) - what do you suggest I should replace these with? SAKSA 85 ... or the lowest-power Maya (as I certainly don't need high power)?

Bearing in mind the following constraints:
1. I need 2x mono PCBs (one in each amp case).

2. to fit onto the current heatsink, the PCB cannot be any longer than the N80 PCB. (Although if this really is a problem, I could build a new case, to fit different heatsinks?)

And would your recommendation change if I said the bass panels were 2 ohms instead of 4 ohms? (I am thinking of getting my Maggie bass panels re-wired with Magnepan's new foil - rather than the old round-wire. According to someone who has just had this done, the improvement in SQ is amazing ... trouble is, this will halve the resistance! :eek: )

Regards,

Andy

Andy,
You are in a great position to see me at my home and compare the NAKSA with the SAKSA...... I have both here, and when I'm ready to send it round for audition/review, you will be invited to have a comparison. Then you will be able to know, rather than listen to my views - which I try to be honest, but it is not the same as a real listen for yourself.

On the 2R issue, I may have an answer for you. A 40A mosfet on the output stage would delivered stupendous current drive - as it does on the Maya (they are 69V and 48A devices and I'm planning an even bigger.) With your 2R ribbons, I would not believe they will need more than about 15A max, in which case the SAKSA would be fine and the NAKSA is actually not far off.

Ciao,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.