• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New NAKSA now arrived!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Righto...the internet worked for me this morning. It must be due to the cold and wind. The new revised and ultra minimalist system which demonstrates that you indeed do high end retail hi fi for less than three grand

Attachments

• DSC_0374.jpg
    DSC_0374.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 664
  • DSC_0377.jpg
    DSC_0377.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 636
  • DSC_0380.jpg
    DSC_0380.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 624
Yes. The steel base and the heatsinks attached to it are the entire heatsink. Seems to work quite well.

The speed of the project was down to the fact that the case existed and was easily modified plus (of course) the module itself which is (as we know) not much work at all to connect up. Apart from the signal wires...I did wonder why you specced the three pin signal connectors rather than screw down gangs(?). And that attenuator caused me a little with its really small ground loop.

Just a quick note to say thank you to Hugh for allowing me a demo of the new NAKSA80 amp at the weekend. Also to say great to see you looking so well after your recent adventures!

The NAKSA80 is a very good amplifier and a fantastic achievement, not least as Hugh was close to death's door during much of the development. Vastly superior to my very early NAKSA70 (one of the first early prototypes before the values were finalised) and also to the 20W U/L class A tube amp I use as a reference, particularly on complex passages. This is one of the few SS amps I have heard which can blast out a tune at high volume whilst retaining all the quiet and complex background sounds. An old cliché, but I really did hear bits I had not heard before. Nice one Hugh...I'm in the queue!

Hello Hugh

Congratulations on your new amp

In case i later want to use difficult speakers, what is the Maximum peak current? And the S/ N?
I could go looking at each site, but I'd think you'd know, to the nearest $00 how much in Australia are all the other bits inc Harbuch, the custom al case and post?

Have you posted a pic or link to the custom case?

Cheers

Hi Otto,

Including the custom case (see Digital Audio Review from Johnny Darko here: Hugh Dean's NAKSA 80 | Digital Audio Review by John Darko), the binding posts, IEC and switch and the Harbuch transformer, you include around $1300 including GST. If you get me building it for plug 'n play, you are looking at $1950 including a Stepped Attenuator (volume level) but no source selection.

I cannot build integrated amps. Too much parts, too labour, and insufficient large volume manufacture. I can only do power amplifiers, with a level control - all hand made.

I cannot offer features. I offer unique sound, and stellar performance. I strongly discourage people from using my amps with multiple sources. My amps are suited only for solitary use of audiophiles who want the best musical sound they can get.

After a serious illness last year my energies are limited. I can work 2-3 hours a day at present but I'm hoping in another year I will be able to work 5 hours a day. This limits my throughput, of course, but I'm concerned to avoid hard work so that I live a long time!

The full peak current would be 7 amps. (42volt rail into 8R loudspeaker). If you want more full peak, you would need the NAKSA 100, which will do just under double this. (12A).

Thank you for your kind comment about the NAKSA!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Having lived with your Naksa 80 for a few months I'm perhaps even more delighted with it now than when I first purchased it. It's fast,rich,involving and very transparent.

Here, here. I'd also add 'clean when loud' to the superlatives. The El Camino album from The Black Keys with its Muscle Shoals studio 'sound' (think alive and distorted) is a joy to listen to - and to watch a three year old boogie to as well.

Hey Meanman, nice Job. I see you have prepared the case for another amp or was it from a previous project? I think my Naksa will be ready next week. I only have to build the transformers out of the Naksa 70 cases and in the Naksa 80 cases. I also build the cases myself. They are almost ready. I will post some pictures in a few days. I wish you succes.

MM,

Very nice work - one suggestion, put some tape around the mains input, insulate it from moving fingers!

How is the sound quality?

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh Thanks,
Yes, I know and also planning to re-route the wires and use more flexible cable.
I'm using a momentary switch and a soft-start module and I'm looking for some kind of circuitry to switch for the N80 or the N70 or both.But I like it when it can be done with that one momentary switch.
The Naksa 80 sound will try to explain.The soundstage is big,the sound doesn't stick to the speakers.As said before a lot of detail very bright and open sound but not in a way you get listening fatique.How shall I put it normaly I don't like the treble to be present too much that's why I like the FetZilla.The Naksa 80 is very present in the treble region but in a velvet way you never think it's too much.Voices never sound sharp or raw but it sounds like it's covered with a silk blanket.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.