• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New NAKSA now arrived!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your post! Paul had told me about your amp, I think it was in his home (?) at one time, it's a small world!
Yes, the N80 is a drop replacement of the N70. pcb is same size and holes in correct places. Same heatsink is just fine.
I've had two customers same that if the N70 is 7.5/10, that N80 is 10/10 and maybe even more.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh,
I let the Naksa burn in for a while,also will recieve the casing this week.The front panel will get a nice engraving. I did listen for a while and suddenly I tought something is wrong with the amp or speakers.Listened again with my ear almost against the speakers did here it the second time but now I know what it was namely a lot of details I never heard before .After everthing is build in the casing I'll review the Naksa again but I can say for now open sound with a lot off detail and strong bass and voices are sounding so relaxed and never harsh even at high volume.This is my preliminary conclusion of the Naksa

Greetings all...long time no blather. Very glad to hear that Hugh is a long way from dead and seemingly getting further away each day. An achievement in itself!

As a long time AKSA owner of a now ancient (despite being only a decade old) AKSA 100 Nirvana...I feel the need to move on. Especially since the power supply in the Old Girl has a few conniptions. So much so I took it out of service last year...along with a Redgum DAC.

Question is...can I jam the 80 into the bespoke Hugh Dean designed case in which the A100N modules currently reside?

...and I seriously need to get the GK-1 back together...nine years in cupboard in pieces is just too long.

Hi Sean,

Welcome back!! Thank you for best wishes for my resurrection, I must saying I'm enjoying it........

Yes, you use the NAKSA 80, but you could not use the heatsinks as they have ledges. Either remove one of the ledges on one of them, remachine so it's flat, OR, put the NAKSA into the base of the bottom, using the case to dissipate the heat. You will need only ONE transformer, 300VA with two 30Vac secondaries, for an NAKSA 80.

It sounds a lot of better than the AKSA 100, but short of about 25 watts. Loud enough for the house, but not enough for the vineyard......

Patrick,

Thank you for your impressions! I'm glad it's up and running, and look forward to a long listen and your deeper thoughts!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Sean,

Welcome back!! Thank you for best wishes for my resurrection, I must saying I'm enjoying it........

Yes, you use the NAKSA 80, but you could not use the heatsinks as they have ledges. Either remove one of the ledges on one of them, remachine so it's flat, OR, put the NAKSA into the base of the bottom, using the case to dissipate the heat. You will need only ONE transformer, 300VA with two 30Vac secondaries, for an NAKSA 80.

It sounds a lot of better than the AKSA 100, but short of about 25 watts. Loud enough for the house, but not enough for the vineyard......

Glad to hear it....

So the heatsink are identical in size to the old AKSA 100 sinks?? Machining off the ledges should be a doddle as would fitting it to the case - is it only four holes to mount the module to the heatsink?. Alternatively, I could get new NAKSA heatsink machined locally to fit the existing case...hmmm..options...:no:

As for the transformer...you like this one? http://www.tortech.com.au/product/0300-2-030/

The vineyard has its own stereo now (placed in the shed). No need for the NAKSA to entertain it...

Last edited:
Yes, Sean,

The Tortech would be just fine, fits nicely and good stability.

The heatsinks for the N80 are indeed 300mm long, 75mm height and 50mm in the fins.

Some as the existing heatsink except for the ledge.

You would have to fit 4 1/8" (3.2mm) holes for the output devices, two for each channel.

Cheers,

Hugh

Cool. Turns out that I have another pair of ledged heatsinks for the AKSA in the shed so the old AKSA will have a potential home to go to if I do pull the trigger. Now to the finance department...I hope to be back with goodly news

In the meantime...may the shed be with you.

One or two?

Hello everybody!

I am happy and proud for beeing a member of this forum.
I've been talking to Hugh by email (thanks Hugh for replying so promptly to my silly questions), about the Naksa 80, and finally I decided to express my thoughts here, and learn something more with you.

Hugh, as you know, I have two very nice r-core transformers for the Naksa 80, each one with 300VA and 30v x 2. I haven't read a single comment talking about using two transformers with the 80. May be because in this case it is not a good idea.

Nevertheless, I don't mind to expose my ignorance and ask you IF two transformers with those specifications would improve the sound... I'm asking this because I have the two.
Just for information, monday I was seeing these transformers in the website and yesterday a friend of mine gave me two of them, exactly the same I intended to order here in France. This is a sign... The universe is telling me : "Go ahead, you're in the good way, that's the right amp!" (Joking...)

And by the way, I'd like to say that I find that the 80 is a bargain. I am 50 years old and heard (and had) LOTS (lots!) of amplifiers. I know when an hi fi product is good, there are to many signs and words from different persons about it, so I am sure that I will not be disappointed with this one.

Just one more question. If I "build" the 80 with only one transfo, may be I will buy the suggested case, and it is a good thing that it acts like a heat dissipator. What is the maximum high for the transformer with this case? These R-cores are big.

That's all. Thank you for reading and for the comments! Please post more pictures! (Hi-erotic-fi)...
And thanks Hugh for everything you make for us, special thanks for the Naksa 80. Congratulations!

HI Polaron,

Thank you for your post. Good questions!

Strictly you do not need two transformers for the NAKSA 80. The reason is that only two secondary windings are required to supply two rails of positive voltage and two rails of negative voltage for the two channels. One secondary supplies the positive rails for both channel, and the other secondary supplies the negative rails for both channels. All the wiring is built into the pcb, and you need only connect the two secondary wires to the pcb to set this up. This means the connections to the trafo are failsafe - very significant when audiophiles are building power supplies.

I did it this one because I wanted to integrate the full power supply for both channels. To keep crosstalk from two supplies from two rails, I separated each rail for each channel, so that:

#1 No center tap is used on the transformer; only two secondaries, four wires total.
#2 Decoupling four banks of filter caps with 0.15R resistors quarantine the rectifier high currents, the speaker earth returns, and the channel supplies, so that crosstalk is minimised. It is very slightly better with two complete transformers, and I use this is the more powerful NAKSA 100, but the qualitative difference sonically is very, very close. This approach is extremely quiet, which is important with amps which use single ended topologies like the NAKSA.
#3 A single 300VA transformer offers superior regulation to two 160VA transformers, typically 6.5% v. 9% (at both full output). A single trafo is much cheaper too!
#4 Two transformers can be used, with the two 30Vac secondaries paralleled for more current delivery. But take care to parallel two secondaries of one transformer so that the starts of the secondary windings are connected, and the finishes are connected. Reverse this, and you will blow the transformer! The custom enclosure will fit a single 300VA toroid, up to 120mm OD by 60mm Height. The custom enclosure has an inset securing bolt fitted. Furthermore, you could fit both of your R cores within the enclosure too, there is sufficient spaces.

The sound quality of the NAKSA 80 is very, very good. One 64 year old audiophile, who has, like you, heard 'everything', feels it is the best amp he has noticed. Numerous anecdotes from various audiophiles have been very positive, and I'm pleased about this because an improving quality indicates R&D is working as it should. I've been working 19 years designing amps, starting in 1994 with the Glass Harmony, a SET mosfet/bipolar/tube hybrid of 28W per channel, and I would be very disappointed with my hard work if my amps were getting worse over time!

Thank you for your kind comment about the cost. A few weeks ago, an audiophile bitterly complained about the high cost. If you consider my costs with Chinese prices of conventional, mass produced modules he is absolutely right; the NAKSA is expensive. However, in the last five months the AUD has been dropping like a stone, so its cost is improving, but more importantly, the design is completely original, brand new IP, and consequently its performance is markedly different to anything else in the market place. Compared to expensive, store built amps from very reputable manufacturers the NAKSA is very reasonable, up there with the best sound quality, and of course you have easy access to the designer via forum or email. That is a strong advantage, particularly as I'm committed to sonic quality and little else, and you can discuss the design detail (within some limitations) on the forum.

Thank you for your interest!

Ciao,

Hugh

Projects

Thanks Hugh,

...for the clear reply. Well, if the differences are not significant in terms of sound, I will use only one transformer. I will keep the other to another project, wich is a very simple power supply to my Gaincard, from 47 Laboratory.

I love the gaincard, specially with the Jordan (full range drivers) in a kind of VTL transmission line simple design. Hope that the Naksa 80 matches well with the Jordan. Why shouldn't it? Essence speakers from 47Labs, (Konus Audio), are easy to drive, they only sound good with very good amps and excellent sources, otherwise they will sound like a can.
I will add to the Naksa a nice D/A converter. I think that I will be able to have a circuit board from a Minerva dac or an MSB dac. I will have to buy a case and make a power supply, wich is the easiest part. But first comes tha Naksa. Meanwhile I will match it to a Bushmaster dac from Beresford, wich is incredibly good for the money.

Et voilà!

Yes meanman, thank you.
I know this website very well, I boughgt a few items from them; but for my amp I'd like another kind of box, so I will make a beautiful box in wood, that will match with my hifi furniture that I am making. I will post some photos when everything will be ready.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.