Naksa vs others, again - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 7th February 2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Naksa vs others, again

I know this must have been asked many times before but I'll ask anyway.

I have an active loudspeaker system build around a DEQX crossover/preamp a pair of w-baffle woofers driven with UCD700 amps, a pair of Phy-Hp semi-fullrange drivers on open baffle and air motion transformer on top.

For years I have been driving the mids and highs with tube amps (ECL82 pp on mids and 300B SET on tweeters) Thsi sounded very good. Problem is that I had to swap tubes almost every year. I listen to music all day and when I'm not at home my family listens to music all day. It's on for about 4 to 16 hours a day. So I wanted to get rid of the tubes.

After trying a lot of ss amps I settled down on a Hiraga le class A 20W on the tweeters and an Audiosector lm3875 gainclone on the mids. As always I end up using the best sounding amp on the tweeters. I'm pretty allergic to bad highs, spoils all the fun of listening to music.

The ss combo does not sound as good as the tubes but it comes close. The mids are a bit too dry (the typical ss dryness I guess) and could use some more body in the lower midrange and highs are sometimes a bit shrill at louder volumes. At lower volumes everything is just fine. Resolution is pretty good as is soundstaging. even if it is not as good as the tubes I can at least listen to it as long as with the tubes, fatigue is very low.

For some time now I've been reading up in the Naksa 70 amps. The six million dollar question is offcoarse: Would the Naksa's sound closer or maybe even better then the tube amps in my system.

I have been reading every review I could find on them but in general I think most owner/reviewer are using a completely othe loudspeaker system then I do. The Phy-hp are like 50's radio loudspeakers on the wrong amp. On the right amp they are marvelous. They do not like typical ss amps, and the don't like amps with very a high dampening factor. They sound at best with an amp that has a combination of speed and a bit of bold character.

Too bad I can't hear the Naksa by myself, I'm realy interested but 4 channels of Naksa from down under is affordable when I like them but very expensive if I don't.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello

Before designing SS amps, Hugh Dean (Aksa) work for long times with tubes amps, one of his tubes amps was the Glass Harmony.

So, wen Hugh design an amp, he do it to sound as good or better than the best tubes amps, the Naksa are very involving with crystal clear sound and a superb soundstage.

You could find somebody who have a Naksa and who are not too far from your city to meet him and listen by yourself to a Naksa amp. Ask Hugh for that.

Have you read those reviews of the Naksa ? :

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...lifier-module/

http://tirnahifi.org/reviews/%3Fpage_id%3D207

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited by gaetan8888; 8th February 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 8th February 2013, 02:22 AM   #3
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Sjef,

Thank you for your post, and my thanks always to Gaetan!

Tragically I do not believe there are NAKSA 70s for listening in The Netherlands, though there are in Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

I can almost guarantee that the sound of a N70 would be an outstanding replacement of the Audiosector LM3875 for your mids.

The advantages are:

1. Quieter
2. Stronger upper bass
3. Better resolution
4. No music fatigue.
5. Much more power; 64W into 8R.
6. No intrusive protection which degrades the musical presentation.

A N70 has two channels and a single, bifurcated power supplies, ready to connect the transformer. It's a complete stereo/psu combination.

Cost is $AUD870, with around $135 for shipping to NL. Have a good look at the reviews, and then email/PM me for a further chat!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 8th February 2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Sjef,

I have two NAKSA 70s in my active speaker system, each feeding a treble and mid driver. I think they are doing a very good job indeed, superb in fact.

Should you by any chance find yourself in Copenhagen or thereabouts, please feel free to stop by and have a good listen!

Link to my thread about the system: The Equilibrium Project - powered by NAKSAs

Cheers,

Jens
Old 8th February 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies,
Unfortunatly I'm not very often in the neighbourhood of Copenhagen but many thanks for your invitation.

Hugh, I have read somewhere that the Aksa amp was in fact inspired on the Hiraga le class A. Is that correct ? And if so, is the Naksa really better. I like the Hiraga for it's resolution and a bit euphonic sound but if possible I would like to get rid of this room heating device as well.

I have tried an all hypex UCD solution but was pretty dissapointed in them, flat boring hifi sound, like you hear on many of the audio shows.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Sjef,

That is an indeed flattery, but the topology of the Hiraga is very, very different to the NAKSA. However, I have heard the Hiraga Class A and it is a fine amplifier with superb sonics. I have studied most amp designs over the years, and have eventually reach a rational correlation between design and sound. I have come to this be starting with tube amps, which like you I do appreciate but find the ageing of large, thermionic output stages unacceptable.

The great trick is to enhance even harmonics while diminishing the odd harmonics.

I bought a UcD180 some years ago and carefully auditioned it. I cannot say much about the later versions, but certainly your assessment with quite accurate for my old model.

Jens, thank you very much for your kind offer, I much appreciate it. Copenhagen is MUCH closer than Melbourne!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 8th February 2013, 04:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Sjef,

Depending on your patience, there could be one opportunity of listening to a NAKSA70.

I have a trip in planning to go to Amsterdam at the beginning of June. I might be persuaded to bring one of my NAKSA70 modules to your home, so you could listen to it in your own system ...

Cheers,

Jens
Old 8th February 2013, 11:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow Jens, don't know what to say. That's a generous offer. Offcoarse I would love to hear them in my own system. PM me when you know you are coming to Amsterdam, you are welcome
Old 9th February 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Jens, Sjef,

A wonderful arrangement, and my sincere thanks to Jens for his incredible kindness!

Sjef has a chance to hear a NAKSA, and in his own system, WOW!

Cheers and deepest thanks Jens,

Hugh
Old 11th February 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
Wow Jens, don't know what to say. That's a generous offer. Offcoarse I would love to hear them in my own system. PM me when you know you are coming to Amsterdam, you are welcome
Well, as I said, it is still in the planning stage, so nothing is certain yet.

But current plans are that I will be in Amsterdam 11-13 June, give or take a day at each end.

The installation of my NAKSA70s at the rear of my speakers is quite modular, so I just need to unsolder a couple of wires, unscrew a few power wire connections and the heatsink from the aluminum fittings holding it in place, then I can pack the amp in my hand luggage. The toroid will go into the suitcase.

I will get in touch with you when I know more about my travel plans.

Cheers,

Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!