• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AKSA in UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having a good listen is almost impossible for net businesses, particularly from a very remote backwater like Oz.

The only options are to find another willing owner in the UK for a visit and listen, and that I send 'demo' amps overseas.

A fully NAKSA 100 is around $AUD2800, shipping to London is $220, insurance is $55, customs is around $500, it really is a lot of money in a difficult economic around the world.

Another issue is that warranty abroard is horrifically expensive because of the shipping - and, of course, customs into and out of the customer country likes to take their cut. Sadly the AUD is presently about $USD1.05, and my products are difficult to sell in the US and Europe/UK. Believe me, I think a lot about this issues; I'm concerned that we are looking at a fiscal train wreck in the western world; at present I spend a lot of time selling in Australia. After recently illness, I'm just starting up again, but there has been a long period where Aspen has build very little.

BTW, I have passed the AKSA some years ago; unfortunately I don't sell the AKSA these days!

Cheers,

Hugh

Just wondering if there any AKSA amp users, ideally DIY builders in the UK and ideally near Berkshire/Oxfordshire?

Would love to make contact to discuss an Amp project I'm keen to get going.

If only I hadn't emigrated we'd be able to hook up - as I come from Abingdon/Drayton/East Hanney.

Anyhow - if you are looking for a DIY option there is a thread in the solid state forum on an AKSA clone that I think would be a good place to start.

I also have an AKSA look-alike DIY design and build thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/140461-tgm-amplifier.html

Whilst neither option is the original AKSA I think they go a long way to getting you there and if this convinces you further, you might feel more confident in the purchase of a NAKSA.

just my 2c

Hi Hugh, Hope you're feeling well after your illness.

Just hoping you can clarify for me.

Are there any of your kits available to purchase from the uk? You see I am looking for a high quality power amp kit to build and I believe yours are among the best.

Is the NAKSA 70 your starter and is it available as a kit?

Kind regards
Roy.

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your post, and for your interests in my health, which is getting better and better. I'm probably at around 70% now and after a AAA I'm actually very, very lucky I'm still alive!

Yes, I sell to the UK. The N70 is $890 with around $125 shipping and $35 insurance, and the N100 is $1420 with $175 shipping and $48 insurance.

I sold kits for years, the AKSA in fact, but no longer. I found that so many amps were so badly assembled that reliability was a negative, and so in 2003 I decided to build them myself, ensuring a long, trouble free life. However, although the pcbs are built and tested, the wiring into the power supply transformer, switch, LED lamp and input/output connections are indeed completed by the buyer. As you know, the transformers are available just about anywhere in the world, and are probihitively to shipping, so I doesn't include the trafo.

These SS amps with sound quality to hybrid the best qualities of SS and tube.

I would be delighted to buy to you, Roy, in UK, US, Sweden, or anyway! I've just sent two N70s to Norway, another to go this coming week, and a N100 to country Victoria, here in Oz.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Thank you for your prompt response, I'm sorry, I had no idea how serious your illness was. Glad to hear you're steadily improving though.

Its excellent news to hear you sell to the UK. I will need to 'save my pennies' for a while longer but thats ok, - I can wait.

I assume I purchase via your web site Hugh, is that correct?
Will make contact around March hopefully.

Many thanks to you.
Roy.

Im belatedly returning to diyaudio due to health issues. I live in Frome in Somerset & have been very happily :) enjoying my NAKSA 70 for around - Wow, is it that long, Hugh? - 15-16 Very Happy, nay, ecstatic months. I use mine with the NAD M51 preamp\dac & XTZ 99.26 mk2 speakers - the ones with ribbon tweeters & SEAS 6.5" Excel unit. A well matched system!

If either of the pre December 2012 folks from Henley or Wales want to contact me - or any subsequent interested parties, please let me know! Thanks, Steve.

Steve,

Greetings, Sire, I hope you are travelling well.... yes, it's been a long time, I do not spend as much as the PC, indeed, I'm not mowing my lawns either!

Thank you very much for your offer to permit others listening to your NAKSA 70. I really appreciate it, there is only in UK as I recall and this is very helpful.

Stay well, Graham is coming over in a month to see you!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi there Hugh. Glad to hear you've stopped mowing your lawns! My pleasure on the NAKSA 70 front. Do you happen to know where royville lives? Has he contacted you? If so, he might like a listen before ordering. But if he's ordering based on what others have said, as I originally planned to - all i will add is that you wont be dissapointed! The sound is so clean, transparent & free of distortion that there've been times when I wound it up to full volume without realising it...

Once, I was listening to A Lark Ascending played by our 'Nig' Kennedy, & it sounded exquisitely gorgeous in a way that only violin played by a maestro on an amp like Hugh's can. It was only when Nina Simone followed that I realised how loud it was! Later in the week I did the same thing after listening to Keith Jarrett Koln Concerts, followed by Good Times, Bad Times by Led Zepplin. The portrayal of transient swings is way better than anything I've owned before.

I wouldn't be surprised if your musical tastes also expanded after buying & enjoying your NAKSA 70 for awhile. Another thing you'll enjoy with it is the accurate portrayal of the unaccompanied piano. Apart from Keith Jarrett I have recently been enjoying a few tracks from Kate Bush's 50 words for Snow album. The sound of the note being played, then slowly decaying is hard to beat. I would end by endorsing what others have said about the amp.

I will finish by adding the my 19 year old son brings his friends around to hear it & many believed they had good systems before. One guy, Toby said, "there's no distortion, anywhere is there. It just gets louder. Wow!" For this reason, my son is embarking on a project which involves mixing 'the best' kit PA systems hopefully with the kit NAKSA's, & if successful, wanted to provide a location to demo both here in UK.

Until then, I will offer my system for potential UK buyers to witness its many qualities .

Thanks,
Steve.
before a good friend in Australia bought one & assured me of its qualities

Hello again,

I know its been a while, I hope things are going okay for you Hugh now you're over you're illness.

Please accept my apologies for not being in touch. Unfortunately, the very day after I spoke to you on this thread I lost my Father to a heart attack. He'd suffered three previous ones , a stroke, and he also under went surgery for a pending 'AAA' (they caught it before it ruptured!). So I've had other things on my mind for a while.

Any way my reason for writing is to renew my interest in your amps. I notice things have moved on for you too (in a good way) with the release of your NAKSA 80 power amp. And this is the one I would now interested in purchasing.

Could you let me know the price of the new amp (with case) along with shipping and insurance to the UK please. Also how to go about ordering and is there a queue or waiting list.

Mr Zappaman (Steve):
Hello to you sir, I would like to thank you for your very kind offer to come and listen to your NAKSA. Whilst this is something I would love to do, it would be fraught with difficulties because of my work pattern and distance, but many thanks nonetheless.

Kind Regards
Roy.

Hi Roy,

I'm sorry for your loss; I can emphathise, my Father passed with his fourth heart attack, and in fact my illness was an AAA, which did rupture and nearly took me out.......

I'm not sure if you want a module, or a plug 'n play NAKSA 80, please send your email to aspen01 -at- optusnet.com.au and I will send to you the final details.

Thank you for response to Steve in Somerset; he may not be available as his PC out just at the present.

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.