Hissing sound after switching off NAKSA70 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2013, 06:52 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewantsmoore View Post
Hi. Hopefully OK to bump and old thread... I have encountered this same issue.

Minidsp 10x10
ME-550-II (Australian poweramp with no output relay/mute)

5 seconds or so of soft static when the amp is turned off.
Turning the DSP off first is not possible due to turn off thump from minidsp.

My question. Is this ok? I will not harm the amplifier? or speakers?

The amplifier has both AC and DC coupled inputs available. I am using the AC coupled input (I assume this is 'correct').

Thanks anyone still lurking around! :thumbsup:

PS - As noted... do not have this issue with MiniDSP 2x4

EDIT: Oh, just realised which forum this is in... hope Mr Dean doesn't mind.
Short answer:

No harm should come to either amp or speakers.

Your ME550-II employs a very sophisticated protection system. No muting relay is required, nor is such a thing desirable in any high quality amplifier.
Is the staitc in both channels?
Does it occur when no input is connected?
Is the 'static' just music? Since the ME550-II employs no distortion producing relay contacts, there will be a gradually decreasing level of sound when the amp is switched off. The solution, of course, is to turn off the music first.
The answers to these questions should enable you to narrow down the source of the problem.

Old 24th March 2013, 09:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Short answer:

No harm should come to either amp or speakers.

Your ME550-II employs a very sophisticated protection system. No muting relay is required, nor is such a thing desirable in any high quality amplifier.
Is the 'static' just music? Since the ME550-II employs no distortion producing relay contacts, there will be a gradually decreasing level of sound when the amp is switched off. The solution, of course, is to turn off the music first.
The answers to these questions should enable you to narrow down the source of the problem.
I should mention that the protection system in your ME550-II operates regardless of the operational nature of the output stages, as it is seperately powered from the audio stages. IOW: If a signal is detected which has the capacity to damage your speakers (DC, ELF, excessive HF, faulty mains wiring on connected devices), the amp will shut down, whether the amplifier is switched on or not. If the amplifier protection system is triggered, then the usual reset system will need to be undertaken (ie: The amp will need to be unplugged from the mains for a few seconds).

I can, therefore, conclude that the hissing noise is at such a level that the protection system deems as non-hazardous to speakers.

Old 25th March 2013, 12:21 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can, therefore, conclude that the hissing noise is at such a level that the protection system deems as non-hazardous to speakers.
Thanks. Just wanted to confirm that the minidsp wasn't doing something -strange- I wasn't aware of, as no other sources I have show this behaviour.

Quote:
Just for completeness in case anyone find this thread.

The static occurs ONLY when:

The amp is connected to the minidsp
The amp is switched off (minidsp still on)

It sounds like the 'normal' (very very quiet) noisefloor, is increased dramatically (becomes audible at 5m) ... lasts for about 5 seconds, and fades away quickly after that.

Old 25th March 2013, 04:00 AM   #14
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I will close this thread thread because the issue is demonstratively NOT the NAKSA, and moreover, it's caused the problem with a digital source.

I hope you have enough information; you can now talk to Zaphod through PM.

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 25th March 2013 at 04:04 AM.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!