• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Fetzilla Build Documentation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very nice build,how does it all sound?
What speakers are you using?

I'm using Lenehan Ml1+ speakers - built locally. I'm really enjoying the sound.
I have been swapping back & forth between the fetzilla and Ncores. Both have a different sound - Ncore very transparent and very very controlled base - Fetzilla a little warmer - base definitely there but a little rounded compared to Ncore. Fet has nicer midrange and probably is a less fatiguing listen.

Yes ajst2duk ,that's true you keep listening music with the FetZilla.A lot of people buy or build an amp on a moment base.I mean they realy say Oh, this amp is jumping out.Just try a song of Metalica called One then you will notice how good the Fetzilla performs regarding the bass

Last edited:
Right now I'm testing my second FetZilla with a 300 Watt SMPS.At high volume it stays at a steady +- 35Vdc.

Attachments

• FetZilla SMPS.png
    FetZilla SMPS.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 390
Andrew,

That's a confident move - thank you for your trust!

I had a part in the FetZilla, but did not really design it. There were things in that design I would have done differently, but then, we set out to create a fully FET amp and there were some constraints.

The NAKSA is a very different amp, with more resolution and more natural sound. Not necessarily best, just DIFFERENT. I think amp, and speakers, are a bit like food - we all do not quite like the same stuff!

I'm hopefully sending a NAKSA 80 to Sydney. I'll let you know if the owner would happy to visit for a listen!

Cheers,

Hugh

Well, 2 years since I stuffed the boards, & then got stuck... Having some post surgery recovery time on my hands, thought it's time to kick along a few unfinished projects. My problem is that I'm too tight to buy a dual secondary transformer, having a shed full of otherwise suitable units. Has anyone built the amp using a 'conventional' CT transformer? I'm thinking a better way to go may be to use two transformers, with Full wave rectification on each - I can build the power supply off the PCB up to C15 & C17?
Any motivational thoughts appreciated...Cheers

Hi Peter,

You can buy a couple of the Altronics 160VA toroids, 2 x 25Vac secondaries. They are about $48 each as I recall. Alternately you could look around for EIs at the trash and treasure meets, but you have to have two separate secondaries since a CT version will not work.

The problem is that you'd have to rebuild the power supply for a CT trafo. I have been using CT power supplies for decades until I tried a non-CT system and then discovered it's much quieter.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.