• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Fixing a descent into hash on AKSA 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dear old AKSA 100 N+ is being a little frustrating.

Early in the 'listening session'...ususally at random during the first or second disc...the audio output from both channels descends into squirly distorted hash before cutting out into silence.

On rare occasions, it comes back on its own after anything from tens of seconds out to a couple of minutes but it may come back only intermittently before cutting out. I say rare because I rarely let it go on that far.

The way to get it back is simple - flick the power switch. The instant the starts drawing on the capacitors alone...clarity returns. If I flick the switch back to full mains in the couple of seconds before the caps run out then there is no loss of audio - the hash just disappears. I may have to do this three or four times during the first two CDs but after that it's all good.

The system itself is a Cambridge Audio player, Redgum DAC, Yamaha integrated (pre-amp only) and the AKSA into Krix Lyrix floorstanders. Typical mix of budget quality interconnects and speaker cables are 8ga DC power cables less than 2m long.

Any ideas? My thoughts are that it has to be related to the power supply and/or earth or ground loop issues but the temporary nature of the problem has me stumped. :scratch:

I thought initially it might be due to the power supply in the DAC but I can't imagine how that might be possible...but I'm happy to take up suggestions in this regard - bear in mind though that resetting the amp clears the problem!

Without the AKSA in the chain there is no problem but the music doesn't sound as good so there is a problem!!

Hmm, Seano, I have a neighbour with that problem too, though the smoke is of a very different nature......

I would say that your power supply rectifiers either have a dry connection - fix with a simple resolder - or there is a problem with the diode that sustains the greatest dissipation, namely the centre diode.

Hope this helps, stay in touch,

Cheers,

Hugh

Resoldering I can do...the only choice to make is when. Bicycles have become my engineering challenge of choice of late though I'm not sure how successful I am since iseem to spend as much time fixing them as riding them. Returning to audio engineering is like returning to a past life (might be cheaper though).

Is there a test I can perform on the centre diode or should I simply bin it (if the resoldering doesn't fix it)?

Is your neighbour letting the smoke get out, eh? I only do that when I'm cooking pancakes...except the smoke is black while the language is blue!

This is probably of no help at all, but just in case...

I had a problem with my Lifeforce clones where the sound just faded away after a few seconds to a couple of minutes. If I turned it off, waited and then turned it back on again, the sound returned but then eventually it just went off again. It was mostly one channel, but after the first channel faded it seemed to cause the 2nd one to follow suit. There was a signal going in, but nothing coming out. No smoke (!) or heat or dc voltages or funny sounds, it was just not producing sound.

I never understood the root cause but to this day I'm convinced it was due to parasitic oscillations. I had not installed output inductors and I did not have very good power supply decoupling. My power supply wiring wasn't adequately isolated from the signal input.

The problem started after I introduced some new meaty and long speaker cables.

Later, I rebuilt my Lifeforce clones with new power supply, replaced the signal wiring with shielded coax and added output inductors - the problem was fixed.

edit: p.s. I know the original power supply had no bad diodes or other problems - as it's now running my 3 channel TGM5 amp unchanged and without any problems.

Last edited:
Gareth,

Did the 10R Zobel resistor on the output of the modules heat up considerably?

If yes, then indeed the problem was oscillation, but not otherwise.

Seano,

Resolder your centre rectifier diodes, that might fix it. And when it plays up, see if the output capacitors are heating up, indicating passing AC. If not, then the problem is likely a dry joint in the power supply.

Hugh

Not fixed yet. Sitting a little low in the list of priorities. I've disconnected it for the moment.

Looks like my Redgum DAC does have a PS issue as well since it too stutters and drops out for some seconds (and sometimes more than once) early on in the listening session...even without the AKSA in the chain.

Must say I'm beginning to understand how people can end up with cupboards full of unused electronics!!

No longer new...but still suitably busy!!

Shed has two incomplete bicycles awaiting parts, a set of unfinished window architraves, a complete kitchens worth of drawer fronts awaiting their finishing, a jointer that needs reassembly and truing plus there's three pairs of screen doors that really need to get started so that they can be ready for next spring...then there's the stuff to be done outside :crazy:

I'll get to the amp soon enough!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.