• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Equilibrium Project - powered by NAKSAs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of re-wamping my speaker system - which I have named 'The Equilibrium Project' - to active operation. I am using NAKSA amplifiers throughout: Two NAKSA 70s for treble/mid (one shown in the first pic) and four NAKSA 100s for the bass sections (two of which are seen in full pic).

The NAKSAs will be controlled with GroundSound digital x-over/DSP units that will govern both x-over frequencies and in-room frequency correction.

Preamp used is my somewhat modded GK-1R preamp, which will be replaced by a GK-2 with the 'R' options retained from the GK-1 - once Hugh gets it to 'behave' :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_RESIZE1.jpg
    IMG_RESIZE1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • IMG_RESIZE2.jpg
    IMG_RESIZE2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,141
Jens,

This will be an awesomely powerful system, with amazing resolution and soundfield.

I strongly endorse the project which will be a showcase for the NAKSA.

I have been taking the NAKSA around Australia and playing it to the proaudio people, and all without fail have been astonished at the musicality and dynamics this amp family can produce. They have been in strong production now for about three months, and today I hope to finish another batch of ten N100 modules.

Jens, I have still not gotten the GK2 to behave. It's very galling, as I know it's only one simple connection away. Grounding, earth loops and hum are the issues for all preamps; it's very frustrating, but you will be the first (second, actually!) to know!

Thanks for the post, wonderful work,

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

In fact, it is already an awesome system - even with the current passive filtering on the treble/mid section and low-cost digital x-over/DSP (Behringer DCX2496). And I have not even started using the NAKSA 100s for the bass modules yet ;)

But I am using a NAKSA 70 to run the treble/mid, and it really does a fantastic job. I just tried swapping it to a NAKSA 100 last night. It did not make much of a difference. If anything, it sounds a little 'colder' than the NAKSA 70, which adds just a hint of warmth.

Granted, the NAKSA 100 was just out of the box, so I will give it some hours and then swap back :)

I should mention that I am using the new Scan-Speak beryllium tweeter and an Accuton/Thiel midrange. These are extremely revealing drivers, and perhaps the hint of warmth that the NAKSA 70 adds is just what the system needs to sound just 'right' (in my ears, that is!) :D

Cheers,

Jens

P.S. Waiting patiently for the GK-2 - I know you will nail it!

Beautiful speakers, pitty that those amps is not covered. I am thinking of a similar wooden channel running top to bottom. Putting a channel over them would cause the cooling to improve as you create a chimney effect sucking air in at the bottom.

Hi Nico,

They will be covered - just have not decided on exactly how. Right now it is work in progress - the amps are not even connected yet and only right side has been mounted ;)

Cheers,

Jens

Sheesh, Jens!!

Bewdiful speaks!!

Exquisite WAF, too!!

How many flower pots can you fit right at the top? My wife can get two on the VSonics!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Flower pots !?!? These 'babies' are over 190 cms tall! (and weigh in at somewhere between 80 and 90 kilos each).

However, if necessary I believe there would be room for 3 or 4 flower pots on each, depending on size ;)

Might not be a bad thing - the earth in the pots should provide good dampening. Just one problem - one would need to ladder to water the plants! :emoticon:

Work on this is progressing (too) slowly - however, having moved to a new (old) house only 10 months ago, there are still many other things to attend to :sigh:

However, I now have all amps fitted on the rear of the speakers - got the left side done some days ago :)

Next step is wiring up the whole thing, which needs to be done neatly :nownow:

Amps will be connected directly to the driver, since all filtering will be done at the signal level.

However, I am a little vary of connecting the SS beryllium tweeters directly to the NAKSA 70, even though the NAKSA 70 has a very slight startup 'bump'.

Hugh, will this be OK? No DC of 'dangerous' magnitude in the turnon 'bump' on the NAKSA 70?

Cheers,

Jens

All wiring is now in place, and I have connected and am playing with all NAKSA 100 modules - but still feeding them from the Behringer x-over. Treble/mid is still passive.

The NAKSA 100s certainly sound powerful, but are also somewhat rough-edged. But then they are straight out of the box, so ...

Hi Hugh,

Yep, that's what I'm expecting - based on other people's experiences ;)

Right now just trying to run them as much as possible!

Cheers,

Jens

Hi Hugh,

Already improving ;)

Even though the N100s are "just" powering the bass sections, there is an expansion of the soundstage. The other night, I was listening to a superb recording of the world's largest pipe organ, the Wannamaker organ at Macy's in Philadelphia, and I have never ever heard the room so well-described ;)

I believe the limitation right now is the Behringer x-over, and I'm looking forward to getting the Groundsounds going!

Cheers,

Jens

Last edited:
Well since I was in the Wanamaker's Building a couple of months ago, I am curious what you think the room looks like that houses the organ. It is a department store and I never think of sound stage when I am there when the organ is playing. Usually, I only see and hear it near Christmas when they put on the organ and light show.

An odd story. My wife's best friend from her college days is the grand daughter of George Audsley who built the organ. He created some simple paper Christmas ornaments in star shapes and we have a few of them. My wife hangs them up on the tree along with the other baubles every year.

ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.