• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Equilibrium Project - powered by NAKSAs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now with 10" bass drivers and alu baffles

Almost a year in the making, but finally the changeover from the old Peerless 8" bass drivers to new Scan-Speak 10" Revelator drivers is finalised.

Due to the larger diameter of the 10" drivers and the ensuing diminishing amount of material at the edges of the baffles (where driver chassis gets closest to the edge), it was necessary to replace the 20 mm MDF baffles with 20 mm aluminum baffles to ensure enough strength/stiffness.

This material change also made it possible to update the design a little, so I decided to paint the new baffless the same colour as the cupboards ;)

See photo.

So, what about the sound?

Well, there is still a NAKSA 100 driving each bass enclosure, so with drivers being 8 ohm, and with two drivers per enclosure, it's a 4 ohm load. Since I use a digital/electronic x-overs, there are no passive components whatsover between amps and drivers, and as the NAKSA 100 is rated at around 180 watts in 4 ohms, I have around 4 x 180 watts of power available directly at the driver terminals, i.e. just short of 800 watts in all! :D

And I can safely say that those NAKSAs keep the drivers on a very short leash! Bass is now much more precise and especially much more dynamic than before. Just goes to show that it was not the NAKSAs holding back (I knew that) :)

Cheers,

Jens

Attachments

• Equi-sys2.jpg
    Equi-sys2.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 194
Wow, Jens, this is a very impressive system - on a par with Andy Redwood's system here in Richmond. He just finished his system only two days back, pretty much the day you finished yours!

I would think that this system could, should you wished, peel off the roof of the home! Four ten inch bass drivers would have astonished power and slam, and I am thrilled you love the sound quality. That is a huge amount of power; yesterday I watched Nelson Pass presenting a 2SK77B and a large IXYS mosfet analysis using a 60V rail running single ended with 3.2A. This is around 50W, huge for single ended, but you have around 800W and huge quality AND efficiency. I doff my hat at your efforts, Sire.

I commend Jens' work. He builds beautiful audio systems, and I'm flattered that he uses NAKSAs to drive them. Thank you Jens, Happy New Year for you and your family!

Ciao,

Hugh

Hi Jens,
So with your new woofers... "Bass is now much more precise and especially much more dynamic than before." I remember sitting on your sofa 12-15 years ago (8 inch drivers, 100w ICE amps on the bass, passive XO albeit just a few extremely good parts) and I got punched in the stomach by the bass in that system. I'm not sure that I would DARE to listen to your new system: my teeth, joints, and sanity could be gone in seconds. Can you picture an old Minnesota guy wandering the streets of Copenhagen very lost, and very happy? Your early Equilibriums are still the best thing I've ever heard...

All the best!
Peter

Wow, Jens, this is a very impressive system - on a par with Andy Redwood's system here in Richmond. He just finished his system only two days back, pretty much the day you finished yours!

I would think that this system could, should you wished, peel off the roof of the home! Four ten inch bass drivers would have astonished power and slam, and I am thrilled you love the sound quality. That is a huge amount of power; yesterday I watched Nelson Pass presenting a 2SK77B and a large IXYS mosfet analysis using a 60V rail running single ended with 3.2A. This is around 50W, huge for single ended, but you have around 800W and huge quality AND efficiency. I doff my hat at your efforts, Sire.

I commend Jens' work. He builds beautiful audio systems, and I'm flattered that he uses NAKSAs to drive them. Thank you Jens, Happy New Year for you and your family!

Ciao,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh :)

Yes, this system will definitely go loud! However, houses in Denmark are usually quite sturdy - and my house is no exception; built in 1935, double brick walls (yes, real brick) and a very sturdy roof. My listening room is some 30 to 35 square metres and fairly well dampened by various furniture, which means that some power is needed, but no roof-lifting has ever been imminent ;)
A major part of the philosophy behind the Equilibrium system is that amplifiers and drivers should remain as un-stressed as possible. So, using 8 fairly large drivers has the effect that each driver actually does not move a lot, but having those 8 drivers gives a large total membrane area that can certainly move a lot of air. The same goes for the amps - so having an amp for each bass driver enclosure means that each amp operates in an area where it can deliver its best. You know, I've never been able to make those NAKSA 100s clip. I believe the drivers will start failing before the amps do!

Cheers,

Jens

Hi Jens,
So with your new woofers... "Bass is now much more precise and especially much more dynamic than before." I remember sitting on your sofa 12-15 years ago (8 inch drivers, 100w ICE amps on the bass, passive XO albeit just a few extremely good parts) and I got punched in the stomach by the bass in that system. I'm not sure that I would DARE to listen to your new system: my teeth, joints, and sanity could be gone in seconds. Can you picture an old Minnesota guy wandering the streets of Copenhagen very lost, and very happy? Your early Equilibriums are still the best thing I've ever heard...

All the best!
Peter

Hi Peter!

So, you are still lurking around these pages :)

Yes, version 1 of the Equilibriums was really good. They did in fact have an an analogue electronic filter for the bass section, and this worked surprisingly well, but could not be adjusted for room anomalies - hence the 'punch in the stomach' back then ;)

But things have moved since then. Considerably. Not that there isn't 'punch in the stomach' anymore - there certainly is! But now the punch comes from the sheer dynamics and power of those 10" drivers and is under iron-fist control by the NAKSAs. And I could go on to speak about faboulously, deep, high and wide soundstage and phenomenal details.

So I dare you - do come and have another listen and get your bones rattled :D

Cheers,

Jens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.