The Equilibrium Project - powered by NAKSAs - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 12th April 2013, 03:23 PM   #51
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I guess it is time for an update, as things have been happening here!

After I got everything up and running in active mode quite a while back, I waited for quite a bit before making any further changes - just listening to the system and "getting to know" it again

But then - enter the GK-2! That made a serious difference - again

The GK-2 is so transparent and so musical that it redefined everything!

Finally, I have recently replaced the relatively cheap microphone cables running from the the GK-2 to the speakers (the xover units are inside the speakers) with a couple of custom made (by me) interconnects consisting of braided Mundorf silver/gold wiring. This again made a difference, especially at the top end and on "spaciousness" - but nothing near the difference that the GK-2 made

Currently, I am working on optimising the xover settings, incorporating the final room compensation into those. I am trying out various filtering settings to ensure I use the settings that are optimal in my setup. I am using both measurements and listening tests to determine this.

Fortunately, this work does not prevent me from listening to my system and enjoy some good music! And I have had many experiences with well-known recordings where the upgraded system suddenly revealed previously unheard detail and fineness

Next step on the enclosures is to get the electronics on the back covered up, and I am currently discussing options with my metal-working friend.

Oh - and the NAKSAs? They are doing a darn good job! There is so much power in those babies when connected in 'direct' mode to the drivers that it sometimes gets scary!

Cheers,

Jens
Old 8th August 2013, 10:15 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Default Now with NAKSA 80s!

High time that I gave a status on the system, which has been improved substantially since my last post here

The following improvements have been implemented:
  • The stock volume motor pot from the GK-1R (a Panasonic, which was really good) has been replaced with a TKD motor pot. A very worthwhile replacement, as the TKD is more precise and has greater clarity/details - and the GK-2 deserves the best!
  • The NAKSA 70s have been replaced with the new NAKSA 80s! Wow - that was an eye-opener! The NAKSA 80s are simply in another league - the world class league I have already posted my impressions of this phenomenal amp in the NAKSA 80 thread and can only confirm yet again what I wrote there: The NAKSA 80 delivers music!
  • Finally, I have replaced my modded Oppo BDP-83SE with a Oppo BDP-105 JLTI Level 3 (also a seriously modded machine) to ensure that I can feed the rest of the system with a true high-quality signal!
The total system now delivers a true musical experience, and live recordings take on entirely new dimensions. Even recordings that I previous thought a bit dull seem to spring to life. It is my belief that this would not have been possible without the NAKSAs - so Hugh, once again thank you for giving us these wonderful products

A final note: the covers to cover up the electronics on the back of the speakers are now being made, and I am eagerly awaiting news about them ...

Cheers,

Jens
Old 9th August 2013, 10:11 AM   #53
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Excellent, Jens!

Andy
Old 9th August 2013, 10:47 AM   #54
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Jens,

Agree with Andy, a wonderful result, thank you for posting your thoughts!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 3rd January 2014, 02:01 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Default Rear covers in the making

An update:

Music is still flowing beautifully from the amps/speakers

And finally, things are happening with the rear covers. It took a very long time to get some of the bends made, because the guy with the machine to do them was extremely busy.

The covers still need to get painted, but I snapped a few photos when we made the trial-fitting.

Cheers,

Jens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cover1.jpg (285.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Cover2.jpg (198.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Cover3.jpg (123.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:48 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

At my age, and looking back at serious illness in 2012, I wonder about a life, and what I have done. I suspect everyone thinks about this, the fact is, most of us accept that we have not done as much as we should have.

After a career in the military and then seven years in the IT industry, designing amps is something I know now I should have started in my twenties. I really this has been a worthwhile pursuit, and a wonderful intellectual challenge and building skill. Over a few years the criticisms has stung, but now I realise ridicule probably means you have done something so wacky and different that the conventionalists are convinced you are mad. I don't mind that now, and I am buoyed by Jens' testimonials that he derives so much pleasure from his system - and this really boosts my mood!

I am still designing and listening amps, my latest attempts, with Paul and Steve, have been VERY successful in auditions. I'm jubilant with the results.......

Happy New Year, Jens, and to to everyone reading here.

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 3rd January 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 22nd March 2014, 02:13 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default Rear covers now installed!

After getting the rear covers back from the painter, they have now been installed on the speakes

Doesn't look half bad, if I may say so myself. I have attached a few shots of the final result

Cheers,

Jens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020596.jpg (482.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg P1020597.jpg (522.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P1020598.jpg (511.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1020600.jpg (574.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:23 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Jens,

A beautiful room, lovely speakers and nice CD library. So much nicer than my rumpus room, which is full of prototypes and boxes of components........

Are you happy with the sound quality?

Hugh
Old 23rd March 2014, 03:45 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Jens,

A beautiful room, lovely speakers and nice CD library. So much nicer than my rumpus room, which is full of prototypes and boxes of components........

Hugh
That's because you're a great audio designer
Old 23rd March 2014, 07:34 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Jens,

Are you happy with the sound quality?

Hugh
Hi Hugh,

Thank you for the nice words

The room is our living room, so a certain standard is required, both by myself and my wife. But we are pretty satisfied with the looks and the atmosphere in the room.

Am I happy with the sound quality? Are you crazy? I am overjoyed!!! My system has never sounded better! Those NAKSA amps are just fantastic

You know - every time I make a change to some other part of the system (other than the NAKSAs), I can hear it immediately! The NAKSAs simply follow through every time. These amps are simply so lucid, engaging and musical that it is hard to believe that it is possible, and yet they keep doing this thing, creating this huge soundstage (when recordings allow it), offering so much detail and timing to create a great illusion of being there.

I've said it before, but I do not mind saying it again: What a great job you have done, Hugh!
Cheers,

Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!